Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken - Smoke?

bertscampers
bertscampers Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in Poultry
I am going to try a Spatchcock Chicken.  Am wondering if I should add any wood chips or chunks to add smoke or is it not need?  Any help would be useful.

Thanks

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    You can always start with no smoke wood and see how you like the flavor.  Poultry takes smoke very quickly.  I use cherry or apple chips (no more than a handful) when I cook them-raised, direct around 375*F (+/-, whereever the BGE settles) for 45-60 mins.  I go to 160*F in the breast and 180*F+ in the thighs-very moist. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    I did my first spatchcock last weekend without the wood chips and it was amazing. Pretty sure I will never cook whole chicken any other way.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    personal taste. i like smoke.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    I always add one hickory chunk and the flavor is awesome. Before Stike chimes in, I suppose one handful of chips would work fine as well:)
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I use sparingly.  Chicken seems to pick up the smoke more that the pork or beef.  First time I would use less that you think you need.  You can always do more next time.  The chicken will still be delicious undersmoked

George

George
  • I guess I may need to cook a chicken tonight an one tomorrow to see.  I love smoke but the kids don't like when its strong.  Since I have not mastered smoking I will try without and then with.

Thanks for the help.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Try using a fruit wood or pecan. 
    About the simplest and the best cook on the BGE at 400F raised direct. It'll get some charcoal flavoring. My family is not a big fan of more than a mild amount of smoke so leave that out initially, anyway. But while you're grilling the chicken thrown on some veggies (squash, zuchinni, onion, corn, etc.) and sweet potato steaks as sides.
  • gte1
    About the simplest and the best cook on the BGE at 400F raised direct. It'll get some charcoal flavoring. My family is not a big fan of more than a mild amount of smoke so leave that out initially, anyway. But while you're grilling the chicken thrown on some veggies (squash, zuchinni, onion, corn, etc.) and sweet potato steaks as sides.

I would love to throw on some veggies while grilling the chicken, but where the hell do they go.  That has been my only complaint with the BGE, not much space in there.

George

George
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Get a second grid, and some bricks, chicken on top, veggies below.
    Or say that to the Mrs, and work on an Adjustable rig.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Like taz said you can make your own raised grid with a spare grid and fire bricks, or you can make legs out of bolts. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm 

...if you have a dealer close by they usually carry some accessories.  The most simple is a "grid extender", but it is not very tall.  I have the BGE 3 tier rack.  Only problem with that is the post goes straight up the middle so it can make fitting a pan under difficult.  You just need a custom pan ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @smokeyPitt
    Almost bought the 3 tier, glad I didn't for the reason you said, but i applaud your custom pan!

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gte1

I have an adjustable rig.  Not sure that I want to baste my veggies in chicken fat dirppings.  I guess I should try it before I knock it.  I would imagine that fat drippings on spuds would be really good, but I'm off of those with the low carb thing.

George

George
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks!  It is an OK accessory, but I ended up making a raised grid using bolts so I didn't have to keep manufacturing the custom pans!  

To be honest I think I would recommend a DIY rack for $18 or so vs the 3 tier.  I haven't used all 3 tiers very often.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Thanks!  It is an OK accessory, but I ended up making a raised grid using bolts so I didn't have to keep manufacturing the custom pans!  

To be honest I think I would recommend a DIY rack for $18 or so vs the 3 tier.  I haven't used all 3 tiers very often.

+1- I have the 3 tier (gift-shoulda returned it w/o opening...) and it has been retired for a few years due to the center pole limiting the effective space on the grids.  Bolts, bricks and another grid is the easiest way to go vertical. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    total less than a palm full of mixed chips of cherry and pecan. The cherry for color.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Okay I threw the chicken on at 375 dome temp.  The chicken elevated to the lip of the egg.  Within 5 minutes the smoke started to pour out and its white.  Is this okay?  I thought the smoke should be clear?  I forgot to mention I am using direct heat.  

Thanks for the help.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Indirect, no smoke at least 400F to get that crispy chicken skin. Light oil and favourite BBQ rub, not to heavy on the rub as poultry takes it on very easily. 
    Drip pan with or without the wine you didn't like......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!