Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smelly meat? Don't listen to the Momo...

Options

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    who was being made fun of in that thread?

that thread (my part of it, anyway) was basically a list of all the stuff we talk about all the time.  all the dead horses.  and i presented them all equally.  don't recall saying one way was better to start the fire, for example.  just listed the three hundred ways people do.

man, people are now actively looking to be insulted, and finding insults where there aren't any.  if people want insults, i can chip in with those

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Optiontrader
    Options
    I'm late to this party, but I'll throw in my two cents.  If the only guide is smell, why does dry aged beef smell like crap, yet costs $30+ per pound?
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • stike
    Options
    if it smells like crap, something's wrong with it.  shouldn't smell at all
    :))
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    I'm late to this party, but I'll throw in my two cents.  If the only guide is smell, why does dry aged beef smell like crap, yet costs $30+ per pound?
    ive never found it to smell bad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    @stike FWIW, I appreciate your elaborate, well thought out, and well written posts. 

A simply yes or no is sometimes all that's required, but when you have the knowledge to share and give a reason WHY we're getting a yes or no answer - I think it's imperative to pass that knowledge on.

If yes or no were the only answers available, my generation wouldn't learn a thing from past generations.  I appreciate learning new things as they're thrown at me.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Optiontrader
    Options
    To me, dry aged has a distinct odor.  Not necessarily bad to me, but my wife hates it and won't eat it.  I guess its all what you are comfortable with.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think this discussion is more about what people want to read than what is written. Personally I would not have cooked it either if the odor persisted after a rinse and 20 minute rest but then nobody really suggested that it would be good idea to cook suspect food. Gerhard
  • Optiontrader
    Options
    @stike FWIW, I appreciate your elaborate, well thought out, and well written posts. 

A simply yes or no is sometimes all that's required, but when you have the knowledge to share and give a reason WHY we're getting a yes or no answer - I think it's imperative to pass that knowledge on.

If yes or no were the only answers available, my generation wouldn't learn a thing from past generations.  I appreciate learning new things as they're thrown at me.
    This is why we come to the forum in the first place.  To receive and share knowledge.  You still have to form your own opinions.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If i were to take back all my smelly meat i would not have eaten chicken thighs or pork butt in years. I have not opened a package of chicken thighs that were not outright rank since I can remember. 15 minutes in the air and they are perfect. When I owned the meat counter I can't tell you how many sulphur bomb primals we opened. I can only remember 1 out of thousands that didn't air out after 15-20 minutes. You guys can run back to the store every time something is not perfect right out of the package all you want. I'll be eating my stinky chicken thighs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    Options
    @gerhardk: re: "nobody really suggested that it would be good idea to cook suspect food"

thank you.  this seems to have been lost on our OP.

• Browninggold
    Options
    Smelly meat....does this have anything to do with the K-Y post a few days ago?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sadly, rhetoric resonates more than facts and science and the masses live in fear of their own shadows. 
    Options

man, people are now actively looking to be insulted, and finding insults where there aren't any.  

I take exception to that statement SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking maybe this dead horse has been beaten and we can move on to more important topics.
    I agree... Like for instance; if you can still smell the bad food thru the KY base, do you still apply the rub?
    You need to put mustard on first. It will work wonders. 

Now back to the dead horse..... Do I cook it legs up or down?

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Its common sense to me. If you dont trust it then dont eat it. Chances are you will enjoy the food less if you think somethings wrong with it

This is so true, even had it been good, I would have been picturing that smell while eating it and it would ruin the while experience.

So why did you ask if it was alright to cook?  After Stike explained to you his reasoning and then you threw it away.  Kind of looks lik MM was right in this case.

=))

If you read properly you would know that I took stikes advice and rinsed it, and let it air out. Only to find out the smell was still there. Then I tossed it. Thanks though. -SMH

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I thought I was up I date with my urban slang (you guys know Centex is down with the kids) but I had to Look up Momo. Not a term of endearment, apparently. Maybe the 2:58am post time had something to do with it I-)
    Momo is a Tibetan meat dumpling popular in Nepal.  I was hoping to find out direct or indirect when cooking on an Egg
    Options
    I thought I was up I date with my urban slang (you guys know Centex is down with the kids) but I had to Look up Momo. Not a term of endearment, apparently. Maybe the 2:58am post time had something to do with it I-)
    Momo is a Tibetan meat dumpling popular in Nepal.  I was hoping to find out direct or indirect when cooking on an Egg

LMFAO! =))

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    Its common sense to me. If you dont trust it then dont eat it. Chances are you will enjoy the food less if you think somethings wrong with it

This is so true, even had it been good, I would have been picturing that smell while eating it and it would ruin the while experience.

So why did you ask if it was alright to cook?  After Stike explained to you his reasoning and then you threw it away.  Kind of looks lik MM was right in this case.

=))

If you read properly you would know that I took stikes advice and rinsed it, and let it air out. Only to find out the smell was still there. Then I tossed it. Thanks though. -SMH

Perhaps you should PM the person you would like an answer from.  Would save a lot of trouble receiving answers on a public forum.  Just saying. 

;)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited August 2012
    Options
    WOW, I think everyone can laugh at this, at least I hope so!  Everyone, go to a private place undress and look down, I'll wait.. ok is there anything missing!  This type of post is what women do to each other, nit pick, name call, my kid is better than yours stuff!   @-)  

I think to heal we all need a group cook this Saturday!  Whose in? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm on the road to San Antonio to see family, so I'll only have access to a WSM.  Missing the egg already, but I'll be trying some Texas brisket!
    WOW, I think everyone can laugh at this, at least I hope so!  Everywhere, go to a private place undress and look down, I'll wait.. ok is there anything missing!  This type of post is what women do to each other, nit pick, name call, my kid is better than yours stuff!   @-)  

=))

Ha! Called out by Lizzie. That is awesome

As far as group cooks go, I'm doing Cochinita Pibil in a buried brick pit that we are building at the beach on Saturday. No eggin on vacation, but doesn't  mean we can't have some fun. I'll send pics

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

=))

Perhaps you should PM the person you would like an answer from.  Would save a lot of trouble receiving answers on a public forum.  Just saying. 

;)

But he wanted a general opinion from members on this forum, not one in particular....
    Boom
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    WOW, I think everyone can laugh at this, at least I hope so!  Everyone, go to a private place undress and look down, I'll wait.. ok is there anything missing!  This type of post is what women do to each other, nit pick, name call, my kid is better than yours stuff!   @-)  

In Lizzie. Doing my first brisket on the Egg this week. Only a flat but will also get to use my new DigiQ DX2 to try it out.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2012
    Options

@a2z

This is an answer?

So why did you ask if it was alright to cook? After Stike explained to you his reasoning and then you threw it away. Kind of looks lik MM was right in this case.

• stike
    Options
    guy gets pissed on jason's thread when there is more than one answer.  but on his own posts, he wants more than one answer. and he wants it quickly.

where's the 'eye-roll' emoticon?

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    stike said:

guy gets pissed on jason's thread when there is more than one answer.  but on his own posts, he wants more than one answer. and he wants it quickly.

where's the 'eye-roll' emoticon?

Go read all his posts. They ate 50/50 complaining about everyone else/ welcoming new guys.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    WOW, I think everyone can laugh at this, at least I hope so!  Everywhere, go to a private place undress and look down, I'll wait.. ok is there anything missing!  This type of post is what women do to each other, nit pick, name call, my kid is better than yours stuff!   @-)  

=))

Ha! Called out by Lizzie. That is awesome

As far as group cooks go, I'm doing Cochinita Pibil in a buried brick pit that we are building at the beach on Saturday. No eggin on vacation, but doesn't  mean we can't have some fun. I'll send pics

That sounds like an awesome time!  I only wish I had seen the ocean this summer, just did not work out!  :(  Send us pics so we can see thick brick pit in action!!
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    Options
    yeah. saw that.  you are right.
    couple weeks ago he asked a question at around 11pm his time i guess.  i replied, with one guy ahead of me and another behind me. that night. within an hour of his asking

next day he's berating people on another post for not anwering his post fast enough. he was perturbed that they had answered someone else's similar question faster than they had his question.

seems out of left field.  there was nothing to tell him but "um. please go back and read your own post, a2z, and you'll find our frigging answers."

he never checked before he went off the handle.

he's always been off, but MM was never a momo, to borrow a phrase. in fact, he'd been thanking us for answering nearly the same frigging question (aged beef is old meat with potential bacterial issues, isn't it? hahaha) when HE asked it

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I love you Stike :P
    +1. Very entertaining and knowledgeable.

We should request that the Masked Marvel change this thread title to "Get your popcorn cause it's gettin ugly"
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options

Some things will never change here I can see.  You want people to come out and put posts up, however if they do not conform to the response put up by some members on here then they are hammered on by the cronies.

It would not matter what is right only that the sheep fall in line and don't dare to think for themselves.

Kind of a sad state of affairs for a public forum that there cannot be a few who dare to disagree.

I thought the purpose of this forum was information about cooking on the big green egg, boy was I wrong there.

I am pretty sure I will never be one of the sheep and damn glad of it.

I don't know who the masked marvel was or is and do not give a damn. I do not think his presentation was good in his post, but it seems all about who he is and not what he was saying.

I have heard a lots of bitching about the old forum and the few here are making this one real similar.

I am sure I will be accused of whining or some other BS. Nobody in this thread will want to hear this.  A little too close to the truth for most of them. 

• stike
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Why dont you contribute something before you tell us how you think we need to contribute? What have you shown to prove you are so original and against the grain? That we are all sheep? You post nothing, berate anyone who actually tries to help, and then declare you are an original thinker. Show us something. Quit bitching. Answer an actual question Because right now, based on all your other posts, you just look like a whiney useless 'momo'