Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Packer going in......NOW!

Options
FlyingTivo
FlyingTivo Posts: 352
edited August 2012 in Beef
13lbs Packer rubed with wochester and DP Red Eye Express and a little extra Turbinado sugar!
220ºF hoping for 14 hrs. Since I bought the Brisket at a Organic farm, they trimmed the fat in excess so the ones that dont know think is very lean meat. Lets hope its not too dry at the end!

imageimageimageimage
Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    Looks great, keep us updated on the progress!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    220 is way too low. Especially since the trimmed all the fat. Trust me, bump that up to 275-300 and do 1-1.25 hrs per lb or it will dry out. 220 dome is 200 grate- way too low for anything but especially anything trimmed like that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    That is one gorgeous hunk of meat!!! Can't wait till it's done
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Not going to be done in 14 hrs at ony 220.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Sorry c-t...that maybe looks bad...not directed at you. That was for OP to get ready for lots of advice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Sorry c-t...that maybe looks bad...not directed at you. That was for OP to get ready for lots of advice.</blockquote

No worries either way MQ. all good.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Preach it R2
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Preach it R2
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Either way....OP listen to both or either of centex or r2egg2q. Too low temp or too fast of an estimate.
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    Options
    220 is way too low. Especially since the trimmed all the fat. Trust me, bump that up to 275-300 and do 1-1.25 hrs per lb or it will dry out. 220 dome is 200 grate- way too low for anything but especially anything trimmed like that.
    Just this man - i made the mistake and it was very dry.  bump that temp up or it'll be dry and done next week.
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Lots of people/sites recommend temps in the 220-225 range, but I think there are some steps taken to add moisture...generally an injection and/or using foil.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Lots of people/sites recommend temps in the 220-225 range, but I think there are some steps taken to add moisture...generally an injection and/or using foil.

They do and i did it for years- cuz "they" said so. As soon as I Bumpedit up- everything changed. And way for the better.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I did mine per Cen-Tex's advice and it turned out awesome . Thanks Again 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • FlyingTivo
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Its 225 grate level! I will bump it up at midnight to 275 grate!
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    1:00 AM 270º grate level/295 dome. Refilled the drip tray with water.
    It looks dry, 145º meat, Im guessing 1st stall! Dont have high hopes, but
    going with the advice, no one is invited.

Felipe

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    OP just a questioning water in the drip tray? Are you not wanting thr drippings to burn? You can but some type of spacer under the pan so it does not burn the drippings.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    The brisket is on the grill and under the grill the pan with water. Some say that the burned drippings give the acrid taste, so trying to avoid that the most possible.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options

CT so do you suggest 275/300 dome, or grate?

I'm thinking somewhere in the middle per your suggestion on the grate - using a DigiQ

Jason
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    275-300 dome. I shoot for 300 dome on my briskets. If it settles at 350 dome, that's fine for me.

If I get below 250 GRID, I find that it takes too long and dries the meat out.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I don't usually see the big difference between my grate and dome temps that everyone else reports...I cook them in the 275-300 range...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JWBurns said:

CT so do you suggest 275/300 dome, or grate?

I'm thinking somewhere in the middle per your suggestion on the grate - using a DigiQ

Jason
    I usually go 275-300 dome which is around 260-275 grate
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Felipe- it Looks great. It should be dry. You are right on track.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Thanks CT for the tip
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    *shouldnt be dry
  • steeevin
    steeevin Posts: 23
    Options
    Great advice Cen-Tex and everyone, really. I am doing a brisket this weekend for the first time in years and first time ever on the egg. This thread is a big help. Thanks!

FlyingTivo, what time do you expect it to be done? Also, what should the internal temp be when you pull it off the egg? Seems like 205 has been posted a few times but I've seen other temps, like 180 as well but that seems low to me.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks CT for the tip
    No worries. There are many ways to do it, this is just the way I do it. I guess if you haven't done one, it's good to pick a lane and stick with it. If it's my lane, more power to ya. if it's someone else's, all good there too. Main thing is to stick to a plan and don't panic when things go sideways (and they will). It's supposed to be fun!

Glad you guys are getting into it. I have some weird fascination with brisket for some reason. I really wish I had a weird fascination with mortgage bond derivatives or curing disease, but Nope. Just brisket- thanks universe

:-/
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

Glad you guys are getting into it. I have some weird fascination with brisket for some reason. I really wish I had a weird fascination with mortgage bond derivatives or curing disease, but Nope. Just brisket- thanks universe

:-/

=))

At least you are using your powers for good.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Many thanks to all and specialy to CT, all the advise is well taken. The brisket was done at 197, my thermapen slide very easily where the point and flat are, but a little harder on the flat end where there is no point. Took it out of the egg at 7:30am and stored it foiled and towelled on the cooler. That was about 10 hrs.
    This is what it looks like, i will start slicing it in 30 min and will post accordingly!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should be great! Looks really good