Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Micro-Air Adjuster

Options
2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yep. same for literally every aftermarket device.  all are optional
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Anyone could make this mod with some tin-snips, sheet stainless, drill, rivet gun and some rivets.  Just remember to put the rivets in from the back.
    Options
    @nolaegghead Why not eliminate your micro adjustment sliding door and use the one already installed on your BGE? Simply shear your plate, punch your holes, bend a tab, and insert this in place of your screen when needed.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @nolaegghead Why not eliminate your micro adjustment sliding door and use the one already installed on your BGE? Simply shear your plate, punch your holes, bend a tab, and insert this in place of your screen when needed.

That's a clever idea, Brownie.  I have the DigiQ so don't have any plans to mod myself, but that would work.  The only issue I'd have over a smaller damper, and this might just be an idiosyncrasy of my dampers, is they're tight.  A small damper could be adjusted with very little effort.
    Options
    Since Thirdeye isn't taking orders now, I can help out with wiggle rods.  I made a whole bunch when I made mine and if I people are interested I'll try to find a cheap way to ship them.  Just shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Dave

Cedar Park, TX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Wow, been busy today but realized there are 20+ emails requesting this product.

Sorry...We do not ship merchandise

I didn't intend on starting a problem here on the board. If anyone is local come in and ask me for this item and I can show them to you.  Since they small they really can't be displayed very well as they get hidden easily.  -Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    Ok PM'd you@hoffmand.
  • jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    Options
    Looks like thirdeyeQ is taking orders again. Maybe just the wiggle rods though... http://thirdeyeq.com/Order.html
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I think I'm going to make one of these.  I'm throwing this out for opinion: Will sheet aluminum be ok or do you think it might not be able to handle the heat?  Should I forget about aluminum and go with stainless?  Also, because I haven't made up my mind on design, I might rivet.  Do you think aluminum pop rivets might react (electrolysis) with stainless?

I don't work with metal and I think the last time I did was in shop class oh so many years ago. 

Flint, Michigan
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Let me know how it turns out for you. Absolutely ZERO metal experience here!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Aluminum should work,as the air is being pulled in through the plate, which should keep it well under the melting point.  I actually doubt it would get that hot even without air flow.  It would take quite a bit of coals in the base to get that hot, but I would watch it for the first cook or two. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no chance in heck that it could ever melt, if that's the concern
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks bettysnephew and stike!  I really appreciate your input.  I'm going to use aluminum.  I'm sure the design/trial & error building process for this desk jockey will take a few days.  
    Flint, Michigan