Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket

Options
MrC
MrC Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was smoking some ribs tonite. My BGE is about 2 yrs old. Noticed smoke coming out at a few places between my gasket. Is the gasket only good for a time ???   2 yrs??? Should I get a replacement gasket??

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Options
    You got 2 years? Nice.
    Mine is from march and i replaced my gasket cause i toasted it on my first pizza cook flashback.

If it looks burnt (i had to send pic) you can try getting in touch with BGE customer support. I got a replacement nomex that way.

FWIW, there are people here who go commando.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Short answers-yup-less than-depends on the dome to base fit.  That written-search gaskets and you will find much info. If nothing with the search here try google and big green egg in the header along with your topic-more info than you can digest.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    No. You dont need a gasket at all no matter what. I can sometimes have a 1/4 in gap in most of my dome to base fit. You just have to move the vent settings to a different place. 

Rather than worrying myself like a dog craping razor blades, I let it go and somehow, my life hasnt ended over having no gasket. It doesnt cook worse, just different. 

and before the masses descend on me for blasphemy, the egg MAY burn a very small amount of lump when you try to put it out. Like 2 cents worth per cook. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tenorman
    tenorman Posts: 23
    Options
    and before the masses descend on me for blasphemy, the egg MAY burn a very small amount of lump when you try to put it out. Like 2 cents worth per cook. 
    OK, BLASPHEMY!  Although I haven't been to Mass...

Not much more to offer than that except I'm watching these threads closely, I've been doing "gentle" cooks to break in the gasket as the BGE video recommends to get the most out of it.  But point taken, sounds like it's not fatal and requiring a new gasket.  Yet.

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Travis, Maybe some KY jelly to seal it??? =))

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!