Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited August 2012 in Beef
Anyone have any good applications for beef tenderloin on the egg?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Here is some info I got a while back. Beef tenderloin question.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    whole? steaks?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I believe that the family is requesting steaks
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can season the steaks, par cook some applewood smoked bacon and wrap it around the steaks.  Cook them direct however you like them.  Make a red wine reduction with a descent wine, serve with garlic mashed potatoes...maybe throw in some sauteed fungus of some sort.
    Perhaps this is too simple for your goals, but I find that a fillet steak is far too fine a piece of meat to fiddle with much. I did a set of four 0.5lb fillets mignon last week (my first cook on the small, and my first on a BGE in like 8 years). Did it just like the manual says, pretty much. Salted, peppered, and garlicked the steaks. Inserted a temperature probe into one of the steaks (they were all well matched). Ran the fire fast up to around 650*F (dome), let the grill get good and hot. Threw the steaks on for a couple minutes on each side to get a good sear. Closed up the top and bottom vents and then just let it roll until the thermometer said 128*F. Raves ensued.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    careful with the shut-down part of that cook.  you can get away with it for lean steaks like tenderloin, but anything with decent fat can really smoke badly. very bad smoke when the fire is choked out but still has fat dripping on it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Netzapper
    Options
    Huh. Didn't know that. Honestly, it took maybe 5 minutes to cook and the temperature only dropped to about 400*F in that time. I imagine I'd get nearly identical results if I left the dampers open just enough to let through a draft. That would likely stem the smoking problem, no?