Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza / Papa Murphy's

Options
midwestsmoker
midwestsmoker Posts: 448
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well actually my second pizza, my first one was 3 years ago and it was a complete failure. I didn't burn enough grease off from the hamburger cook the night before and well you know the rest. Soooo, today's pizza was a thin crust, cheese, sausage and pepperoni family size for $8.00. Stabilized the egg at 525 with the plate setter legs up, grate and pizza stone and waited for the egg to burn clean, I didn't time it but I know it was over 30 minutes. The cook took about 18 minutes and it was 98% successful, the only thing I feel I did wrong was putting the pizza stone in to early. There were several hot spots so it was a fine line of over cooking the crust and getting the cheese just right. FYI I did cook the pizza with the cardboard and I would do that again. Turned out great, look forward to my next one.

Comments

• BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    Well done!  I did two of them a couple weeks ago.  Used a pizza stone on the plate setter with the legs down and heated to 425.  The first one was a thin crust with just pepperoni and chesse.  It took only 13 minutes.  Both the crust and toppings were perfect.  The second one was a chicken artichoke thin crust.  I had it on for 16-17 minutes before I pulled it.  The crust was perfect but the toppings/cheese weren't as browned as I wanted.  Definitely agree with using the cardboard and I rotated them 180 degrees half way through as suggested by others for an even cook.   I found it funny that the family liked the less done toppings on the second one better than the first.  Just meant more of the first one for me :-)
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Haha, more for me. I should cook like that on purpose. I also rotated the pie during the cook but only 90 degrees at a time, figured I had four rotations at 5 minute intervals. Interesting that you put the stone right on top of the plate setter. At what point did you put your stone in the egg?
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Im sold on the PM Pizzas even though the one close to my house pissed me off yesterday. They stoped doing 2 Larges for 10 bucks, but I called the one 4 more miles down the road and they said YEP. I told the pimple face kid I am heading down the street and getting my pizzas from them.

As much as Diesel costs these day I probably spent more driving around town getting my pizza, But I wanted to prove a point.

Anyways I got them and am cooking them up tonight.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    After the fire was going I put the plate setter and the pizza stone in at the same time.  Forgot to mention Its a Pampered Chef stone so its not as thick as the ones made for the egg.  I'm always worried about it shattering on me which is why I put it directly on the plate setter.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    After the fire was going I put the plate setter and the pizza stone in at the same time.  Forgot to mention Its a Pampered Chef stone so its not as thick as the ones made for the egg.  I'm always worried about it shattering on me which is why I put it directly on the plate setter.
    BGEXL Nick - I agree, although I do pizza in my medium at about 500F. The PC stones will work just fine if you keep the heat under 450F (I think that is what their instructions say) The reason PC has a bad rap used in the egg is most of us tend to cook too hot. 
    I use 13" stone sitting on the setter, legs down - give the rack the day off. If doing more than one pizza, a quick wipe with a damp cloth seems to cool the stone so the second crust does not burn. Picked up my stone for $10, no sense in paying too much, I seem to break them before I wear them out!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Yep, I believe my stone is a PC as well. I wanted to bake the pizza @ 450 but the plate setter had so much grease on it from the last use I felt the 525 temp was doing a better job burning it clean. Like you said, I had concerns about getting the stone over 500, no need to push it.
  • BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    We usually do pizzas around 550 when we make our own but went on the conservative side since people mentioned burning the crust on Papa Murphy's at that temp.  I was always more worried about heating/cooling the stone too fast than the max temp which is why I put it directly on the plate setter.  It allows the temperature change to be more gradual.  Its changing too fast that makes them break.  I've had it up to 600 many a time and the stone is still fine.  Of course, I may have just been lucky :-)

Here are a few examples of them.  I apologize for the quality.  My phone doesn't have the best of cameras ;-)
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Great looking pies. I think your spot on with the rapid temperature change which is why I put mine in early on but I didn't anticipate the time it would take for the egg to burn clean. I wanted the stone to come up to temp with the pizza on it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Lot's of Papa Murphy cooks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Lot's of Papa Murphy cooks.
    I feel slighted that I never tried Papa Murphy when we had one for about 6 months 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    I’ve never been a fan. Crust is too thick or something, your not missing anything.  Looks like 2012 was the year of the papa Murphy in the egg.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Never had a Papa Murphy but seems like there are a lot of revived posts about it
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    $8 for a family size back then. At those prices, I would insist on at least 2 years of free pizza built into my mortgage.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Poppa John's is better