Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Beef Buying Tip

JerkChicken
JerkChicken Posts: 551
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is probably common knowledge to many of you, but I thought I'd pass it along to those of you who are interested.

I was in Publix doing the usual drooling over the different meats deciding what to cook and the Meat guy came out with a tray and started plucking all of the best steaks with specific dates off the shelves. Greenwise Choice strips, ribeyes, and only of the most expensive stuff. I asked him, surely you're not throwing all that away?! He replied: no, that that's what they always use to make the Market Ground Beef.

I started buying Market Ground from then on, and I like it much better than the ground sirloin, chuck, and other more expensive stuff I was getting previously. 
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• market ground beef? Do you mean the greenwise ground chuck?
  • No, it's in the ground beef section, just called Market Ground Beef, but it's loaded with all the premium steaks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    How does that work? If they are taking it off the shelf because of the date, then they grind it up and re-label it? Isn't it to old in the first place?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It's only 1 day old ground beef. Classified as a rebirth?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Better meat does not necessarily make better burgers.  You need fat in the burgers for both flavour and  that juicy burger.  That said I am sure they have a formulae that balances the fat content to a predetermined goal.  With burgers we avoid the preformed burgers absolutely never purchase the frozen variety made in factories, that type seems to be recalled frequently.  Not a snob about meat but we have a local butcher we trust and like so buy most of our meat from him even if it costs a little more at times.

Gerhard
  • gerhardk
    How does that work? If they are taking it off the shelf because of the date, then they grind it up and re-label it? Isn't it to old in the first place?
    Does seem sort of strange, the steak would have the bacteria that affect you and spoil the meat only on the surface but once it is ground it will be throughout the meat and have a much greater surface area with access to oxygen enabling the beasties to multiply rapidly.

Gerhard
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    All meat must be assumed to have surface bacteria when it is ground into hamburger, whether steaks or primals.  

That said, it is incorrect that the sell by date refers to safety/bacteria. No sell by or best by date refers to food safety. No food may be sold which may be unhealthy. The sell-by dates and use-by or best-by dates ONLY refer to the last date on which the food is PERFECT, or in peak condition. It is not an indication that the food is less safe the next day. It is a date determined solely by the seller.

People have been throwing out food on sell by dates for years. This is ill informed behavior, and not at all based on food safety standards.

I am not at all concerned about ground meat being made from steaks, but do have qualms considering that the meat is passing thru a machine which handles hundreds of pounds of raw meat every day but which is only sanitized quite possibly by an apathetic teenager

if you want safe superior ground meat, grind your own

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gerhardk
    I assume that the steaks are pulled because the store is concerned about the shelf life not because they want to repackage it and sell it for less.  I was not trying to say that the steak was unsafe but the bacteria that will eventually spoil it are on the surface, by grinding the meat you increase the surface area 100 fold and increase the bacteria's chance to multiply therefore shortening the life of the meat.

Gerhard
  • stike
    what i am saying is that shelf life has nothing (literally nothing) to do with food safety.

no store may keep a steak in the case up to the point where it becomes 'dangerous'.  they don't pull these out the day before death visitis upon them.

a sell by date is WEEKS away from the date when a steak might be unsafe.

they may pull them off because most americans are total pansies about food, and prefer pretty red steaks that just went into the case.  and the manager is thinking 'well, this steak is a little brown, we better grind it before the sheeple decide it is dangerous'.

but that's a different thing.  sure, they yank it because it is close to the sell by date, because it isn't pretty.  but it is completely incorrect to equate that with a less-safe steak.  no grocer may sell any food that is possibly unhealthy or unwholesome. that includes any which may be on the cusp of being 'unsafe'.

they may grind them for cosmetic reasons, but itdoesn not logically follow that an older steak is less safe than a 'fresh' one.

next someone is going to trot out the idea that they secretly put brown beef INSIDE fresh red ground beef, just because there's brown beef inside when you split open the ground beef.

we deserve to pay what we pay for meat.  we waste so much of it.  no one has a right to complain that food is so expensive... we did it to ourselves
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Stike, could you say that again? I'm having a hard time understanding. :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    no sh!t.

i should just cut and paste this crap.

:))

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it understand simple frigging concepts of food safety.
    :)
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555

but do have qualms considering that the meat is passing thru a machine which handles hundreds of pounds of raw meat every day but which is only sanitized quite possibly by an apathetic teenager

This made me laugh out loud....really!

When I was first out of High School, and getting ready for college, I had two jobs. One of them was cleaning the Meat Dept at a local supermarket at night. I had to dis-assemble, clean, and sanitize every machine. And it would never fail.....that after I was done cleaning the grinder, some old gray hair would come by and want this 1/2lb steak ground up. Of course we had to do it.....but what a pain!
  • travisstrick
    My father in law was a meat cutter for 25 years at Winn Dixie.

He says they grind the steaks when they are close to their sell by date for cosmetic reasons. I think he said there are different rules for "sell by dates" for ground beef. I'll ask him and get back.
  • stike
    alebrewer: worked at Kealey Farms (you remember that place?).  Meat department.
    we ran a few sirloins thru the chopping machine to make tips, before we realized the plastic tubs weren't on the floor. in a panic, but trying to do the right thing, i told the manager.  he shrugged, pulled over a tub, and told us to just pick up the meat and toss it in the bin.  >shudder<

i worked with a guy that used to (apologies in advance, people) spit into the bags of sirloin tips. 

yes. i wash whatever i buy, and i buy only whole cuts or primals/sub-primals

• travisstrick
    I worked at Hungry Howies (pizza delivery place) one summer in high school. For fun, they guys would slide the pies across the floor before boxing them up.

The manager smoked pot and had several sexual liaisons in the walk in freezer.
  • stike
    wait. smoked pot in the freezer and also had sex in the freezer? or smoked pot, comma, and had sex in the freezer?

(don't ask why, but this is important. i may be that manager. also, was he alone when having sex? if so, likelihood increases ten-fold)
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Stike.....I was born and raised in NY...so no knowledge of Kealey Farms.

Along those lines however, I did work at a fast food burger joint, a well known Steak house, and a Country Club as well. Some of the things I have seen done to food just amaze me....and not for the good. Food on the floor....five second rule was a bit longer back then. Greenish steaks being marinated and served. Plenty of walk in cooler and freezer action too!

Ahhh....the good old days!.....some good memories too!
  • stike said:

wait. smoked pot in the freezer and also had sex in the freezer? or smoked pot, comma, and had sex in the freezer?

(don't ask why, but this is important. i may be that manager. also, was he alone when having sex? if so, likelihood increases ten-fold)

=))

I know most people think I'm here for spatchcock tips, but it's actually threads me this that keep me engaged. Too funny.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • *threads LIKE this. Damn iPhone.
  • Right in the gutter eh CT?
  • Right in the gutter eh CT?

Just where I like it (shocking, I know)
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    Stike said-<<br>next someone is going to trot out the idea that they secretly put brown beef INSIDE fresh red ground beef, just because there's brown beef inside when you split open the ground beef.

That's explains how that happens I knew it thanks stike
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.