Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help on baby back ribs! Leaving for Canada in Morning!

Options
VA in GA
VA in GA Posts: 54
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,    I tried to do baby back ribs tonight on the med BGE and they were burnt to a crisp on bottom!  :-(    Where did I go wrong?     I used the woo with stone, v rack, seasoned but no mustard (is this it?)  Cooked at 250-300 for a little over 2 hours, the tops looked pretty but under side burnt!  Leaving for Canada in the morning for 9 days, please help me! 

Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Check your thermos. What you describe is textbook perfect. You shouldn't have that problem. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Options
    ADDING  Another picture BBQ sauce on!    Thank You Travis   I'll check it when I come back from Canada before using again..  :-)
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I can see the ends being burnt as they probably are hanging over the stone, but the middle should not be burnt. 2 hrs at that temp should be not even be close to done.
    George
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I agree with Travis.  Either your thermometer is reading way low (and you were way hot) or your description of time and temp is wrong. 

The setup looks fine.  Put your thermometer in fresh boiling water and calibrate to 212 F by rotating the dial relative to the rod and nut. 

If it wasn't way off I can't think of an explanation unless it's something like - you cooked with the lid up the whole time or sauced it 10 mins after the start.  This is fixable, no frets.
    :)
    Options
    Thank You for your help, I do appreciate it.   Have a great week all
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Hi VA,

One more suggestion.  I think part of the problem might be the rib position.  Like gte pointed out the ribs hanging over the stone might be in what I call the "jet stream".  You might try cutting the slabs in half and putting them vertically in the V-rack so they all positioned over the stone.

Oh...and maybe consider a drip pan to prevent flare ups from fat drippings.  

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokeypitt nailed it.
    those ribs are up in the dome.

all the draft glides up the sides of the dome and out the chimney.  positioned like that, those ribs reach out at the top and grab a little of that draft

cut the slabs into racks, and try laying them or standing them lower down in the shadow of the stone

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Another vote for your Thermo's out - AND the ribs are too high in the dome.

Look at the 3rd picture - you can see that your whole bed of lump is burning nice and orange.  I know that when I've got a 250 fire (mind you, in a large), the whole bed is NOT burning orange like that.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Hi VA,

One more suggestion.  I think part of the problem might be the rib position.  Like gte pointed out the ribs hanging over the stone might be in what I call the "jet stream".  You might try cutting the slabs in half and putting them vertically in the V-rack so they all positioned over the stone.

Oh...and maybe consider a drip pan to prevent flare ups from fat drippings.  

Good luck!

Exactly. I have a medium egg and the rib racks have to be halved..... I use the setter, legs up, drip pan on the setter and the stainless grid. Come out great!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!