Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger, Happy Camper

Options
BryantD
BryantD Posts: 16
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I got a large Egg about three weeks ago and it is insanely awesome. We've done salmon, chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, pizza -- I can't believe how well everything turns out, given that I'm a complete amateur. There's a small pork butt in there right now smoking away.

If anyone reading this is in the SF Bay area, where do you get your briskets and pork butts? 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Sound like you are doing fine.  You will find this forum full of great ideas and help when needed.
    Options
    Hey BryantD- there are plenty of Bay area eggers on here that I'm sure will chime in for you. Welcome aboard
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cep55
    cep55 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey, BryantD, welcome! I'm a new egger from the bay area too. So far, I've gotten pork shoulder and tri-tip from gene's fine foods in saratoga, and also Costco. Haven't done a brisket yet, but the place I will go is Dittmer's meat market. Was in Mt View for years and years, had a fire last year and is now reopening in the next month in Los Altos. They have awesome meats (and sandwiches), and do their own smoking as well. They really know their stuff. I go there for the best meats and also my charcuterie supplies.

Cheers,
    Christina
  • BryantD
    BryantD Posts: 16
    Options
    Yeah, I cannot wait for Dittmer's to reopen. We just moved back here but I lived in the area for 10 years during the 90s, and Dittmer's was a frequent stop for me then. 

Most recently I was in Austin for nine months, where I discovered Lockhart and various other important locations. Which is really why we bought an Egg -- no offense to any of the fine barbecue establishments around here, but... gonna have to learn how to do this ourselves. :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, I cannot wait for Dittmer's to reopen. We just moved back here but I lived in the area for 10 years during the 90s, and Dittmer's was a frequent stop for me then. 

Most recently I was in Austin for nine months, where I discovered Lockhart and various other important locations. Which is really why we bought an Egg -- no offense to any of the fine barbecue establishments around here, but... gonna have to learn how to do this ourselves. :)

I'm in Austin and I can help. I travel out there all the time and absolutley love it. I can say though, that TXBBQ is not on the radar out that way just yet. That's OK, but you are definitely on an island when it comes to low and slow TXBBQ Glad to help any time. You have all the tools you need with that BGE in your back yard. Now all you need is a good meat house that can get you whole packer briskets. Find that, and we'll hook you up with the rest.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    Most smart and finals carry full packers
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    new egger (two weeks) in los angeles. this thing is making me look really good. everything turns out amazing and the wife, who was skeptical of the purchase, is loving how good the food is.

What kind of lump are you using? my first bag is big green egg but i think there is cheaper/better stuff out there?

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I get pork from Costco, and whole briskets (packers) are available at Smart and Finals.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    anez said:

new egger (two weeks) in los angeles. this thing is making me look really good. everything turns out amazing and the wife, who was skeptical of the purchase, is loving how good the food is.

What kind of lump are you using? my first bag is big green egg but i think there is cheaper/better stuff out there?

Search google for "the naked whiz" he has a huge charcoal review compilation on his website. There are tins of lump cheaper than bge, and some cheaper too. Few commonly used lump brands are Royal Oak (available at Walmart and bagged same place bge lump is bagged at), wicked good (check ace, kinda pricey, but I have heard great things), and some less expensive options are cowboy charcoal, or Best of the West. I personally use botw bcuz it is so cheap, $15 for 40lbs, but it is also mesquite and not the best lump out there.
  • HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    Options
    Welcome to forum Bryant,

Don't know where you is exactly but there is a great butcher/meat market in Pacifica ,

http://www.yelp.com/biz/save-more-meat-mkt-pacifica

Check out the link , great place family owned / operated for the past 50 + years
  • BryantD
    Options
    Belatedly -- thanks, @HMB_Egg! I'm in Redwood City but any excuse to get out to the ocean is good by me. I lived in Pacifica for three years or so the last time I was out in the Bay Area.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    When we lived in the Bay Area, Costco in Livermore was our choice for both beef and pork.  We lived in Tracy so it was on the way home.  The best butcher shop in was in Podestos in Stockton, too far away for you though.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I forgot, welcome aboard.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    BryantD said:
    My wife and I got a large Egg about three weeks ago and it is insanely awesome. We've done salmon, chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, pizza -- I can't believe how well everything turns out, given that I'm a complete amateur. There's a small pork butt in there right now smoking away.

If anyone reading this is in the SF Bay area, where do you get your briskets and pork butts? 
    I'm in Oakland.  Smart & Final often has huge ones.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • BryantD
    Options
    I wound up hitting Smart and Final for my first one. Thanks!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @anez and @Bryantd welcome to the "west coast egg family", from north of the 49th. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!