Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami. Going to start corning a brisket this weekend.

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Have two Canadian bacon's smoking right now.  One is Cajun, the other Naga Jolokia.  Plus the regular CB spices.  I tasted the later before I put on the smoker.  Hoooooooooboy.  Hot.  Should be delicious thinly cut on sammiches. 

Smoking to 150.  This is at about 85F.

Cherry and apple.

NICE!!!! So what did you think about the seasoning could it use more or less? I really thought mine could use more salt. Any chance you would give up what all you used and how much for the dry rub?
  • nolaegghead
    I seasoned the corning brine HEAVILY, and I brined for 7 days.  Then I did a fresh water soak overnight to remove excess salt.  The rub is only corriander and black pepper.  It was salty without being overly so. 

I pretty much followed Ruhlman's spices for the brine, except I added about 10 times more garlic and 2 to 3x amounts of spices I liked.  Lots of juniper berries.   I might try adding juniper berries to the rub next time.

I'd like to try making with a navel roast next time. 
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Looks really good. Why steam it?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    I figure if all the delis in Manhattan are steaming it, there's a pretty good reason..... I'm sure someone with expert deli knowlege will post a reason that sounds sexier than, "better way to reheat than boiling it like corned beef or a microwave"....

:))
    Have anybody try smoking the store brand corned beef into a pastrami? Just wondering if it works out well.
  • nolaegghead
    Have anybody try smoking the store brand corned beef into a pastrami? Just wondering if it works out well.
    My brother reported decent results trying that with a regular (don't remember) HEB brand.  It's going to be as good as the quality of the corned beef you buy minus any problems you may introduce in the smoking and optional steaming.  And you can buy some good corned beef.
    They come out pretty good...I've done a couple. Make sure to soak the store bought corned beef for a day or so changing water a few times....they come out too salty once smoked otherwise, IMO.
  • nolaegghead
    Good point.  They count on you boiling some of the salt out when you make corned beef.  I soaked mine overnight after brining.  I think it pulled a good amount of salt out - could taste the salt in the fresh water the next day.
    Thanks for the insights and thinking to try it by pulling out one from my freezer 
  • nolaegghead
    I really enjoyed the corning process.  It's like throwing a dart over your house and see if you hit your target after running around. 

There's a week delay between "spicing" it - when making the brine and tasting the final product.  Plus all the intermediate steps are variables.  I want to try some more corning, but with some big, bold choices (that may very well result in abject failure, but I'm willing to risk it).  Maybe feature allspice and juniper berry.  Maybe with an Indian twist.  

Seems like the texture is pretty easy to keep in the sweet spot with pastrami, unlike some of my smoked brisket attempts, that were never really terrible, but not anything like braised brisket.  Smoked brisket that's as tender as braised - maybe that's just a unicorn I'll never catch. (cue music, dim lights)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishless buys all the leftover corned beef day after st. patricks day, when it is on sale.

then spins it into pastrami.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante