Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why would you ever sell it?

easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've seen threads on here where people are buying BGE's off Craigslist or other websites.  Made me think..why on earth would you ever sell your BGE?  I've only had mine for a month and I'd give my dog away (or maybe my wife) before I gave away or sold my BGE.   I'd have to be in pretty dire circumstances before I'd consider selling.  Its a part of the family now!

"You can take my BGE, from my cold, dead hands!!!!"

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I bet it's folks who don't know how to use it and who don't visit the forum.

I've also seen lots of people who win them then go and sell.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I've seen a few on craigslist going, most mention upgrading.
    I'm sure people move away don't want to haul, upgrade or just flat need the cash covers the reasons.
    Seattle, WA
  • "from my cold, dead hands..." hehehe

Anyway, I think Trav hit the nail on the head - many folks don't know about the forum, and/or their dealer isn't very knowledgeable about the Egg, so they never really quite learn how to use it properly. 

They think it'll be just like cooking on a gasser, and then realize - WHOA, this thing is completely different - I don't know how to control the temp, they probably cook w/ the dome open, they continue cooking their food to time & not internal temp, etc...

All those things (and more) can lead to frustration & "buyer's remorse" for spending such a HUGE amount of $$ for something & then not knowing how to use it.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Hell, I don't own anything that isn't for sale if the price is right.
    XL BGE
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I had looked at the eggs at different places and at the mothership.  I finally was about to turn loose of the money and buy a new one from the mothership.  On a Sunday I thought I would check out Craigslist.  I saw a large on it for $700 (not sure now).  I got him to take $650.  It was only about two years old and in great shape.  He gave me the bill he received when he had bought it.  Also included with it was the nest, egg mates, electric starter, lump, container for the lump, BGE cover, book and dvd that comes with them.  I don't remember if I got the platesetter and ash tool with it or I bought them later.  He lived probably about 15 miles from me.  That made it even better.  One scary moment I had was when we were loading it onto my truck. We almost dropped it.  I was straining with every muscle I had to it keep from getting away from us.  That would have been $650 broke in pieces.  Since then I have added some toys to it from the mothership and the Ceramic Grill Store.  One day I would like to add a Guru or something similar to control the temperature.  I am still learning from you guys.  I have had it about a 1 1/2 years now.  Btw He said he was selling it because he wasn't using it that much.  It did look good.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    It's not for everybody.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @travis. The forum really helps the beginners, myself included. The info here is very helpful and with some practice the cooks get better and better. Always something new to check out. Not sure I would be doing as much with the eggs if I didn't have some people spurring me on.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I'm going with travisstrick.  They don't know what they have or how to use it.  I'm not sure I KNOW how to use it.  Wok is my next step.  This forum is the greatest resource and should be referred to in their literature and video.The hard part to get accross is that the BGE isn't just a cooking device.  It's a lifestyle.  A very good lifestyle.  It's not the fastest; not the most convenient; and certainly expensive.  It's the Harley Davidson of grills.  I ride Honda and Suzuki but I cook on the Big Green Egg.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    +1 smokesniffer!  This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me, and has helped me avoid alot of mistakes.  A wise man once said:  Listen to others to either confirm your thoughts, or help avoid mistakes!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Need cash to call off Vito the killer pimp?

Not for everyone, and not everyone gets it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    My uncle just picked one up from a friend of his who said they didn't like the taste of the food. He picked up a fairly new LBGE and table for 500.00. Not a bad deal.

I will say that my family has said the food tastes different on the Egg... my wife described it as a fishy taste. I think it could be caused from not letting the lump burn long enough prior to putting food on. Would love to know how others solved this type of problem. The egg is still new to me, but I know it is an great cooking device.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @mcmac:
    Here's what i do:
    1 dont dump dust into the egg.
    2 give it enough time to burn off the nasty smoke.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Maybe Tummy trouble??

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2012
    Hell, I don't own anything that isn't for sale if the price is right.
    I know you're joking, and I also know that ultimately you are telling the truth, but there are some things that are pushing the limits for priceless.  It would take a hell of an offer to get my concertina, my B&G parrot, or the flintlock my father left me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Some people don't like to BBQ. They may like to eat BBQ, but doing it themselves is not their thing. My mom has a Large (she works for a distributor, gets a killer discount) but she doesn't like having to clean it, light fires, store charcoal and lighters, dial in temps etc. She just bought a $600 stainless steel propane driven outdoor oven. It lets her BBQ with little effort, it is just more suited to her needs. She offered me her egg, but I like it up there for when we have cookouts. I told her if she thought about selling it, it would magically teleport to my deck.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Plain and simple....ignorance. They don't know how to use it and were never lucky enough to find the forum or never bothered to ask/look for help.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lots of people buy things based on reputation and the results that skilled operators get, not realizing the amount of skill that those operators are exhibiting. I've seen it with sports cars and with remote control aircraft. People buy these things because they see what amazing stunts the skilled can achieve, and then they sell them shortly thereafter because they didn't realize that those skills took time and effort to develop.

Same thing with the egg. People buy it because they had great food cooked on it, or because they heard about it online, or have a friend who raves about hers. But then they get it home and discover that the great food doesn't happen magically. And, let's be honest, cooking on a kamado is not "convenient" in the way most people perceive that word. Especially if you're comparing it to the convenience of most modern American "home cooking": oversalted mixes from boxes, drab frozen veggies, and overcooked pre-trimmed boneless skinless chicken breasts.

So they sell it on craigslist, and are happy to be rid of it.
  • On this forum I see questions about the lump with the least smoke flavor, read of wives' preference for crock pot roasts and even heard a complaint of lack of time to cook. let's face it cooking on an egg is more trouble than other methods. I started at 0630 and am still watching the temp. I hope to pull around 1700. This is a long day's cook. I, however, have cut a few acres of grass in the meantime. In another life, I probably would not have started a but before work and expected to eat it for supper.
    The egg does a great job for low and slow, but my wife likes her steak medium well. The high heat sears do not cook the interior enough for her without burning the outside. I use lower temps and have thought about the XRET but gtrew up with steaks burned on the outside and rare inside and have never gotten over the dislike of charred meat.
    I can understand a person not thinking the egg is the best purchase ever made. I, at the time of purchase, was concerned over the high price of another charcoal grill which I knew would only last a couple of years. Both my wife and I saw an egg at the hardware store and thought it looked like a better answer. The next week we were talked into a medium rather than a small. It did great on the first low and slow, even better than other cookers I had owned. I could not really justify a price tag of closer to a thousand when alternative cookers are available for less than $200.00. I have in my life occasionally bought something other than the absolute cheapest thing on the market and frequently been happy with my purchase.
    Many I know believe a gas smoker and a lot of liquor make good barbecue. Others dull their taste buds with enough alcohol and anything tastes good-including throwing a steak on a gasser and burning it.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I bought a large from CL for my mom. The woman selling it bought it for her husband as a gift, they have since divorced. He didn't want it because she bought it, and she didn't want it because she bought it for him. She was keeping her charcoal weber kettle grill, so I know she wasn't selling it because of speed, or ease of use.

I got a great deal because those folks had issues with each other.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Need cash to call off Vito the killer pimp? Not for everyone, and not everyone gets it.
    I paid Vito before I purchased my Egg.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If ya want to make good food, you gotta learn how to cook.  And part of learning how to cook is to learn how to operate the equipment.  It's not as easy as setting the oven to 350.  Learning how to operate the BGE and the idiosyncrasies of the equipment takes a little time and effort, but by no means is difficult.
    true, nolaegghead.

is the egg sometimes a pain? sure.  but it is still far easier to produce great barbecue on an egg than with a gasser.  as difficult as some find it to make great true bbq'd pulled pork, with other cookers it's just impossible. you aren't going to ever get the same thing from a crock pot, no matter how easy it is.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I, personally, love tinkering around with BBQ and learning the equipment. Just cooked a couple of spatchcock chickens and half a dozen drumsticks last night. They were both awesome. However, having the new Maverick temp probe for grill and food temp is a definite aid in hitting the temps I am looking for. For me... its just fun!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

it is fun, my daughter says it is my toy!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

Never!  From the first taste of our first cook last spring, the Gaber and I continue to be amazed with the Egg.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    +1 - it's not easy learning to cook with the egg so I can understand if someone doesn't have the patience to work with it. I've enjoyed all this learning from the gurus on the forum and my family has been having a blast with all the cooks I've done in the egg. Now, my daughter is excited everytime she sees a picture of the mini because she can see herself cooking in it :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Neptunes
    Neptunes Posts: 17

I sold mine on C.L. I listed it one evening and the next day I

had at least 10 emails begging to come buy it. Sold it to the first person I talked to.

I was working long hours and was looking for something  that required lees time to set up and cook on. i got interested in a Cookshaack SM 25.  Alot of devoted users out there that just love them. Sounds Great!!!! I thought. Just throw some meat and a few chunks of wood in it.come back in a few hours and there's dinner.

Long story short, I tried and tried to  make good food on it and only achieved fair results. got lucky and sold the Cookshack quickly on C.L.  Went back to the egg store. got another lge. and will never even think about selling this one. LESSON LEARNED!!!!!!

It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.
  • Just got one from a guy who bought it for steaks.  Revved her up to bout 700 and opened it.  I got the base for free but I'm looking for a dome.  Think about it.  Said that thing was "dangerous", "it just exploded on me" he said.  It's called burping sir and it's crucial, we have, or, all will learn this.  That's why this gentleman got rid of his.  He did crack the dang dome though.  $175 for a new dome, might as well say $175 for another large egg ;) A welcome addition any way it's viewed..
  • Just got one from a guy who bought it for steaks.  Revved her up to bout 700 and opened it.  I got the base for free but I'm looking for a dome.  Think about it.  Said that thing was "dangerous", "it just exploded on me" he said.  It's called burping sir and it's crucial, we have, or, all will learn this.  That's why this gentleman got rid of his.  He did crack the dang dome though.  $175 for a new dome, might as well say $175 for another large egg ;) A welcome addition any way it's viewed..
    and you get the warranty on the dome :)

I don't know this to be true, but I'm guessing you would get it if you bought fro BGE or a dealer

Not a bad deal for $175

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just got one from a guy who bought it for steaks.  Revved her up to bout 700 and opened it.  I got the base for free but I'm looking for a dome.  Think about it.  Said that thing was "dangerous", "it just exploded on me" he said.  It's called burping sir and it's crucial, we have, or, all will learn this.  That's why this gentleman got rid of his.  He did crack the dang dome though.  $175 for a new dome, might as well say $175 for another large egg ;) A welcome addition any way it's viewed..
    There's a large dome lid that's been on craigslist forever here in New Orleans.  $50.  Never used.