Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Legs

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any quick ideas for chicken legs tonight?  Wife picked up some on sale and wants me to try them on the grill.  I hope I get home at a decent hour to make them for dinner or I just may cook tonight them regardless and the family can eat them for dinner tomorrow instead.

Was thinking of using the chicken leg rack over direct 350 for an hour? Sound good or should I go indirect for longer at 250?

http://cache.vendaria.com/integration/images/ct/35/VpopHTML.html?bg=D6D7A5&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=Demo&pf=t&fr=t&iid=jmIkUFkQcffdQVeUajbacdkfffaijkQgQji&ap=sys_homedepot_uid_203018504&uid=203018504&cf=3000&purl=sys_homedepot_uid_203018504

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    with that rig you're basically doing indirect anyway, 350-400 is fine. High up in the egg works better
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    edited August 2012
    I just did some yesterday. 450 direct, half with a rub and half in a marinade. About 15 mins or so with the skin.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    either way is good..i prefer the higher temp for faster and crispier results.. i did some wings with breast bits last night around 250 or so and they werent as crispy as i like
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i know you don't have time for this tonight, but we did thighs at 225-250 for about four hours.  crispy skin. wife loved them, but i thought the meat was over done.  she likes them overdone.

few hours at 250 gives me crisp skin. but you need something quicker tonight
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    40 minutes at 350, direct heat. Either dry rub (Old Bay is awesome on chicken) or marinate.

I did them just last night marinated with Dale's. See my post in the poultry forum.
  • robnybbq
    Well I got home way too late as usual to fire up the Egg.  Will try again tonight.  I have two rubs for them.  One is Jakes Poulty Rub (Good coffee flavor)and Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin (Have not tried this yet).

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I have never understood why people would want to cook chicken (or turkey for that matter) at 250. I can understand if you have one big pit and you are doing brisket/ribs/butts and its out of necessity. But otherwise, chicken does not have all that stuff that needs to break down over time in a low and slow environment. Go hot and fast (350-400), you'll be able to get enough smoke, the skin will be crispy and it will be done in a lot less time.

And chicken rack at 350 is fine, to answer your question.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    With that rack I would set up the BGE raised, direct then use the rack-350*F on the dome til you get to 180+ in the meaty part of the leg.  40-60 mins or so-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    That's what I will try tonight hopefully.  Sort of the same method as Spatchcock chicken.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

400 Direct raised: Butt Rub till 15 min before done and add the Bone Sucking Sauce. This was a package of 6 on the Mini, but lots more on a Large.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I have never understood why people would want to cook chicken (or turkey for that matter) at 250. I can understand if you have one big pit and you are doing brisket/ribs/butts and its out of necessity. But otherwise, chicken does not have all that stuff that needs to break down over time in a low and slow environment. Go hot and fast (350-400), you'll be able to get enough smoke, the skin will be crispy and it will be done in a lot less time.

And chicken rack at 350 is fine, to answer your question.

I've done whole chickens low and slow, spatchcocked, beer canned, direct high in the dome all on my XL and each method gives a slightly different texture and taste.  My goal is to try as many methods as possible and then rotate cooking the top 3 methods with different rubs and marinades.  It's a journey.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    griff.  going lo and slo doesn't mean you are breaking down any collagen.  it's perfectly acceptable, actually maybe more common, to roast a rib eye (fopr ex.) at 250 than to do it hot and fast.  provides eveness of cooking.

if i took the chicken (or rib eye) to 200 internal, then yeah, it would be the same type of cook as doing a pork butt.  but stopping well short of that means we aren't even talking about collagen.

so why do it with chicken? in the egg, with its great tendency to retain moisture, crispy skin has always been my nemesis.

but at 250, the chicken cooks slowly (no collagen breaking down, because we never get there).  that means a long draft.  and that long draft dries the skin.

cooking something at 250 doesn't imply that it needs to be a poor cut, with fat and collagen.  it's just that such a cut can be helped by cooking it like that.  but a great cut of beef, or a cheap chicken, can benefit from being cooked at those temps too.  just need to know when to stop cooking it, as always

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Griff,

Hate to admit it but stike is right. The meat is tender as all get out and the skin is crispy without being fatty. The fat under the skin renders away.

Steve 

Caledon, ON