Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try a good cook this weekend

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook something that I will not fail at.  Want to try a low and slow but nothing more than 8 hours.

What should I make?  How with exact directions not to mess it up?  Also I need a meat temp probe as I do not have one (another thread)

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    How about ribs?

No probe required. Just google car wash mikes ribs and you'll be good to go!
  • robnybbq
    I have done ribs and they have not came out great.

Garnerville, NY
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    robnybbq said:

I have done ribs and they have not came out great.

Have you used his method? They are exceptional and no fail if you follow his direction.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Absent a rib attempt-get yourself around a 4-5# boston butt and run it at around 290+/- on the calibrated dome.  Should finish in about 8 hrs-and is about as forgiving a low&slow cook there is.  Let us know your selection and we will help with the information. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    I have done it very similar.

Pull membrane - apply rub - let sit in fridge for 2 hours
    Light Egg to 250-275 or where ever the Egg wants to be.  Add wood - wait for some to become clear/sweet - put ribs on indirect for 4 hours - add BBQ for the last 20 minutes and pull them.

I have had mixed results - some were completely dry, - some had not enough flavor, some were not cooked enough.  A few came out OK but nothing to share with anyone.

I have done the basting method on my old Gasser and the ribs came out very good - maybe I need to go back to mopping the ribs instead of hoping the fat will keep them moist. 

I have only done Baby backs = Maybe I need to try full ribs or beef ribs?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Absent a rib attempt-get yourself around a 4-5# boston butt and run it at around 290+/- on the calibrated dome.  Should finish in about 8 hrs-and is about as forgiving a low&slow cook there is.  Let us know your selection and we will help with the information. 
    I tired a turbo but once and it was dry and not "Pull able"  I should try this again but I thought a Non-turbo method needed allot more time.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    imageMeats that are cooked low and slow are not easy to cook. Low and slow was developed to make good food from cuts that were too tough and fat to be well cooked any other way.

If you want fail safe, it will be easier with something else.

However, if you want to try something that is closer to a low and slow cut, look for beef back ribs, aka "dino bones." Not short ribs. They are what is left after boneless rib eye steaks have been cut away.

Look for the meatiest ones you can find. Often, whole racks are available, but sometimes too much of the meat was cut away to remove the steaks. Some butchers will offer individual ribs with 3/4 - 1 inch of meat left on. These are the best.

In either case, there is a very tough, thick membrane on the bone side. Pull that off. If cooked, it will end up being about as edible as a sheet of parchment.

One thing that is nice about the back ribs is that the meat is so good it really doesn't need any flavoring beyond salt pepper and smoke. No real need to fuss w. marinades or fancier spicing.

Here's where the variable comes into play, and thus means the cook is not fail safe. The thickness of the meat left on the bone changes the cooking time. I've had a few very skimpy racks that were over done within 2.5 hours. Nice thick ones, I expect a minimum of 3 hours, 4 is not unusual, and sometimes even longer.

Basic set up. Fill fire box w. lump. Add a chunk or two of wood. Start a small fire. Create an indirect set up. Just a drip pan on the lower grill is perfectly fine. The dome temperature can be anywhere from 250 to 325. I find 275 gives the meat enough time in smoke for a great flavor, and good fat rendering, and very little chance of drying out.

You do not need a remote thermometer, but you really should have some sort of quick read thermometer. There is enough meat on most back ribs that a thermometer will give an accurate reading.

If you don't have a good therm, just take a sharp knife to the edges of the meat, and sample it. You will certainly find when you have it the way you like.

Because there is quite a bit of fat, and connective tissue, I like to take them to 180 - 190. They can be cooked to a lesser temperature, because the meat is almost steak meat. But I like the chance to render out as much fat as possible. Otherwise, they can be a little greasier than I like.

• robnybbq
    I'll look for them again to see what they look like.  Last week when were were shopping at he grocery store they did not have any beef ribs except for some sort of short ribs with no bone.

They had beef bottom round roast - Any good?

Pork Shoulder ?

Garnerville, NY
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    While short ribs are good food, they can be quite difficult. There are 2 sections to the short pib cut. If I'm recalling correctly, the front portion is called the check end, and the rearward is the plate. I can't tell them apart visually, but the chuck end short ribs are quite tough. When the meat is cut off the bone, it is slightly easier to cook, but still tends to be tough.

I'm not sure if I've done bottom round. I have Egg'd top round, and tried "Swiss" steak, which is a thick section of of the round containing both top and bottom. The best I could do w. Swiss steak was tough and dry. Much less pleasing than chuck, which pretty much requires a period in foil, or a DO.

Pork shoulder is just Boston butt. The fastest pork picnic (a portion of the shoulder) I've cooked that was good took about 55 min per pound. I'm working on cooking smaller pieces of pork shoulder, but have not yet done anything better than just O.K.

FWIW, if you can find some really good sausage, you can make a meal quickly that is as good, maybe better, than steak. Excellent sausage is rather uncommon. For good stuff, I need to travel between 20 and 30 miles. For really good, the closest is about 45 miles. I try to keep some on hand whenever I have company, and am pressed for time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the four hour timing on your ribs was too short.  if they are dry and tough, they are undercooked
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • robnybbq
    The rack bent in half and the bones were showing and they pulled out of the meat easily.  I was thinking more on the overdone side possibly.

Cooking sausage for 15-20 minutes (how ever long it takes) will there be much difference between the gasser and the Egg?  Same with hamburgers - is there that much difference in a very short cook?

Longer cooks or high heat cooks I understand due to smoke and better heat steadiness/retention.

There is another butcher that supposedly has a good reputation that I may go to get something for this weekend.  Just need to make a plan. 

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Oh and somewhat healthy  B-)

Garnerville, NY
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    The rack bent in half and the bones were showing and they pulled out of the meat easily.  I was thinking more on the overdone side possibly.

Cooking sausage for 15-20 minutes (how ever long it takes) will there be much difference between the gasser and the Egg?  Same with hamburgers - is there that much difference in a very short cook?

Longer cooks or high heat cooks I understand due to smoke and better heat steadiness/retention.

There is another butcher that supposedly has a good reputation that I may go to get something for this weekend.  Just need to make a plan. 
    Have you calibrated your dome thermometer?  I ask because you stated you cooked the ribs for 4 hours at 250-275.  4 hours at 250 would've been great... but 4 hours at 325 could have dried them out in my opinion.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, try calibrating your dome and re-trying the ribs.

Only difference for mine: I add a drip pan underneath the ribs (with air space between the pan and plate setter - use 3 or 4 tinfoil balls) and put a can of beer in the drip pan.  It's "supposed" to help keep imparting a bit more moisture in the meat.  Does it really?  I dunno - but not gonna change it up if it's working for me now....
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • robnybbq
    I have a drip pan that is elevated over the indirect piece on the Adjustable rig.  I did not add any fluids though.

I have calibrated the dome.  The cooks never stay steady so it may have gotten hotter during the cook.  I am looking to get a pit probe and meat thermometer if I can find one locally so I can really see what is going on.

Garnerville, NY
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    ...The cooks never stay steady so it may have gotten hotter during the cook. ...
    THERE'S your problem right there.

More practice/patience is required (same boat as I'm in actually) at keeping the egg at a stable temp.  TINY adjustments if you need to make one, and always - ALWAYS - give the egg time to react and settle into a new temp when you make an adjustment, before making another adjustment.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • robnybbq
    I can let it ride and not touch it for hours and it will fluctuate between 225 and 325.  It has gotten better than 250 - 400 though.

I finally figured out how to keep it lit though so I guess that is progress.

If I cant keep it steady this weekend its either a controller or down by the curb for the trash collectors.

Garnerville, NY
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If you really want to get rid of it, I'm in NNJ.
    :D
    Id rather see it work for you.
    Unless someone is opening dome, or blowing air in vent, i cant see the temp vary that much. Unless you take temp at 250, and it just slowly rises to 400.
    The temp should never drop that quickly unless you open the dome, and let fresh air in,dropping the temp and letting in more oxygen to raise temp.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • robnybbq
    OK some of the ideas

Pork Butt - 8 hours?
    Chuck Roast - time and method?
    Beef ribs - time and method?
    baby back Ribs - 3-5 hours?

What should I ask for at the butcher instead of guessing at the local grocery store?

I want a brisket but will wait a few more months.

I want some fish as well and may have to try to get some Oysters for myself since the wife does not eat most seafood.

Garnerville, NY
  • Leg of lamb, lamb shanks or smoked duck?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    If you do car wash mike's process EXACTLY, you will not fail.  This includes the spraying every hour with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mixture.  I've done them 7 times now and never a failure.  "Very Similar" isn't the same.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI