Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallop Bombs!

Options
LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

One of my wife’s favorite seafood dishes is scallops, so last night I had the see if I could improve. I decided to change up the recipe. Not sure what to call it (Scallop bombs come to mind!) but made Apple wood bacon wrapped Scallops with a Lemon-Rosemary Aioli drizzle.  They were pretty awesome. Wrapped 12 U-10 scallops with smoked cured bacon , Aioli was a scratch recipe of Duke Mayo, fresh pulled Rosemary, evoo, red wine vinegar, garlic and lemon juice (sorry no measurements…just eye balled it and taste tested), topped off with a little browned breadcrumbs and romano cheese combo. Served with cold lemon risotto and grilled veggies.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• GooseEgg53
    Options

Any issues with the scallops being done and the bacon not being fully cooked?

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Sounds perfect! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101
    Options
    You bring up a good question GooseEgg53 and I think its a trick to get the bacon completely done yet not over cooking the scallops. I went a little lower and longer. I did not get the crispness on the bacon but the scallops were just right. I may try a thinner cut on the bacon next go around. Still were outstanding. 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

When i do bacon wrapped seafood (shrimp or scallops) i usually precook the bacon a little bit in the oven.  This allows the bacon to crisp up without killing the scallops

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I use a slightly thinner bacon (that I make and slice for scallops and shrimps) to make sure everything cooks evenly.  I also, partially freeze my scallops before wrapping because I've found out that trying to wrap a slick scallop with a slick piece of bacon can be challenging.  Anyway, that's what works for me.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • GooseEgg53
    Options

I use a slightly thinner bacon (that I make and slice for scallops and shrimps) to make sure everything cooks evenly.  I also, partially freeze my scallops before wrapping because I've found out that trying to wrap a slick scallop with a slick piece of bacon can be challenging.  Anyway, that's what works for me.

Will give that a try...Thanks Logger!