Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Wet Inside

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I thought water was getting into my egg as some of the charcoal wouldn't light. I have a cover (table) but wasn't throne from BGE, and there would be water on the table after a good rain so waterways definitely getting through. Fast forward to today - its been raining all day (egg was uncovered from the weekend) and there was moisture inside when I went to start the grill. Looked like it came in from the back, where I could tell the gasket was wet. This happen to anyone else? I thought they were supposed to be waterproof, but it makes sense that the gasket could soak up water and let moisture/water in from the outside. Question - is this normal? Hoping all I need is a better cover-one that really is waterproof. Any thoughts/info appreciated

Comments

• Mole351
    Damn iPhone and fat fingers. Throne = the one, waterways = water was. And "some of the" = "sometimes the" charcoal wouldn't light.
  • Mole351
    Nobody else gets water in their egg (through the gasket) if left out in the rain uncovered? Just want to make sure this is normal - and time to invest in a decent cover I think
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    we don't have gaskets :)

But I can see this happening with some good rain. Fortunately all the water will go on the inside of the shell and not inside the firebox to wet the charcoal. Fire it up and watch it steam.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I never had water, but I have had the situation where the ash was darker and clumpier, (hence moisture) after being uncovered in a down pour. 

+1 on watching steam come 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!