Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small for a week.....heavy pics

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So took my new small egg with us camping. Put it the back seat of the truck, wrapped the seat belt around it. Got to the lake and set up everything. We had an awesome time with the egg doing all the cook requirements. Had omelette for breakfast, planked some salmon, planked shrimp, with ABT's Baked bread, cinnamon buns, grilled steaks. Skewered some chicken, and farmer sausage. It was AWESOME. We wouldn't camp with out our small ever. Heading out in a couple of weeks again, eating like kings. Didn't eat the bear:)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Thanks for posting. I can't wait to take my new egg camping!
  • smokesniffer
    edited August 2012
    @ lowlightbw UR going to love it. The egg is so versatile. We would be out fishing and talking about what we are going to cook next. Our family joined us and we had 9 mouths to feed. Everything was done on the small. That particular grilling really cinched in my mind that the small is a little work horse. ;) What size are you taking camping?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work, sounds like a fun week of eating.
    Seattle, WA
  • Just picked up a medium to compliment the small. It was a bit larger than what i had in mind for camping but i think it work!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    now i really want a small to go with my large....nice photo's...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

Great pics...thanks for sharing. 

Is that a cast iron skillet?  What size and brand? Does it have a handle? I have a small BGE but haven't been able to find a skillet withought a handle that will fit in my egg so I can close the lid.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    cut the handle then!

Great pics...thanks for sharing. 

Is that a cast iron skillet?  What size and brand? Does it have a handle? I have a small BGE but haven't been able to find a skillet withought a handle that will fit in my egg so I can close the lid.

Thanks!

Jeff

Quebec - Canada
  • smokesniffer
    @Vitaman. Not cast iron. I found it at a garage sale, it is a heavier pan though, I took the handle off, so that it would fit in the small. We have done bread in it as well. Good all round pan. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    Looking good...great looking food. Glad you decided to pick up the small and happy you're loving your decision.

Many people don't know how much food it can turn over.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • smokesniffer
    @cazzy. I know now what you were referring to about the small being able to hold it's own. When we had the family join us, that small did just awesome, everyone got fed all together, I was a little bit concerned about getting all the food off at the same time so everyone would be able to eat together. Worked wonderfully. Thanks again for the push to get the small. ;) Back home it is tough to figure out what to cook on if it is just one type of food. Going to have to have the eggsperts tell me what meals they cook on two eggs. This coming weekend we are having our kids over for a wing fest. SIL's B-day. Can't wait to have both eggs smoking away. Got any recipes for Jerk chicke wings, and honey garlic, or teriyaki?? 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    I've q'd several of the same meats on both and I wasn't able to tell a difference in the final end product.  In theory, you're much closer to the lump so indirects might be a lil better on your large...might.  I think you should approach the use of your small/large on need.  If you're cooking for a few, use your small.  I've done a pretty big spatchcock on the small and it worked great.  The other benefit is that you'll get up to cooking temp much quicker on your small and you'll save lump.  I use my small during the week and both or my large during the weekends.

My wing recipe is pretty popular  :\"> but you'll need to make the sauce today so it can get hotter.
  • smokesniffer
    edited August 2012
    so fire that recipe off, (please  )   I have a couple of days to get er done. Going to be so much fun. :x
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Food looks great good thing the bear let you eat what you cooked! Bet he was tempted to mosey on over for the best tasting grub he's ever had!
  • cazzy
  • smokesniffer
    @cazzy, your hero status just keeps on shinning. Thank you so much. =D>
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    Lol. Make sure to save some for basting as you don't want to use the sauce you marinate the chicken in.

Your final results should look something like this:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Message me with any questions.
  • smokesniffer
    edited August 2012
    Sweet! I was telling my wife the recipe, she helps me put it all together. Then I showed her that picture of the wings, and it was "OH OK!" That will be done this Sunday. Son In Law's B-day he is going to love it.  Thanks this is going to be fun.  ^:)^
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    That's good stuff. Make the merinade no later than tomorrow. That will allow the heat to develop as the chili peppers steep.