Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Table with wheels or without wheels?

stripedeggstripedegg Posts: 87
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Eggers.......I'm building a new table for my Dad's XL BGE and would like some opinions on putting wheels on it or not.  The table will more than likely never be moved, other than to clean around it, etc.

Opinions?
The Nest Whisperer
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    first time your Dad goes to move it he will wish he had wheels . i'd go with wheels if ever needed he can move it by himself . locking caster style 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • volfan1volfan1 Posts: 42
    Gotta have wheels.
    XL & Mini. Palm Harbor, FL.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,201
    It's nice to have wheels if you can't get behind it for gasket changes, maintaining the hinges, etc.  Cleaning around it = leaf blower.

·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Mine has no wheels....and I have never wished it had. But, it sets on gravel....not a smooth surface like concrete. If we ever get around to laying pavers, I might think about wheels.
    ·
  • Yeah.....this one is gonna sit on my Dad's deck....and probably the only time it will ever be moved is when I come over to do it.  I'm a virgin egger....he's giving me his large egg and bought himself and XL Egg.  Deal is that I have to make him a new table..

more than "fair enough".....construction begins tomorrow.
    The Nest Whisperer
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Nice deal!.....good luck with table build.
    ·
    I put these on my table.  Small wheels get hung up easily.  Not these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-cast-iron-molded-rubber-swivel-caster-38711.html

·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 995

Make them removable??image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
    Clever,  nice aluminum welds.

·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I don't move my table very often, but they are an absolute necessity for me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Thanks guys....gonna go with wheels. It's for my Pops so I want it to be perfect.
    The Nest Whisperer
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    @stripedegg you have made an excellent decision.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411

@ Duganboy-no family influence here!!! Lean heavily on your side of the deal.  You only get one shot to get it right... :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118

@ Duganboy-no family influence here!!! Lean heavily on your side of the deal.  You only get one shot to get it right... :)>-
    Busted.  
    ·
  • mcmacmcmac Posts: 493
    Wheels are a good decision. You never know when you will want to move it, and they don't add that much to the overall cost of the table!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
    ·
  • without a doubt...wheels
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    If it is on a deck that may need staining in the future, you'll definitely want wheels.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Wheels for sure, I put the solid rubber ones on mine and have found out the hard way that the egg and table is so heavy that the wheels are getting flat spots (I move it around now to stop this).

I am changing the wheels now to some tires that require air. Just think it cooks cooler.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    I like wheels.  I can turn the egg into the wind and stoke that fire for takeoff. B-  I wish the table would have come with locking casters.  I bought it used and have not looked for factory sized locking casters yet.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151

Wheels for sure, I put the solid rubber ones on mine and have found out the hard way that the egg and table is so heavy that the wheels are getting flat spots (I move it around now to stop this).

I am changing the wheels now to some tires that require air. Just think it cooks cooler.

Nitrogen in the tires for that cooler running!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • HdryderHdryder Posts: 3
    Wheels
    ·