Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First BGE XL owner

Kasey595Kasey595 Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in Poultry
Bought an XL BGE about a week ago smoked a pork butt first time out of the shoot. Turned out well, nice bark and very tender. Gonna try my first turkey soon any suggestions on a rub, cooking temp, length of cook? Trying to make the in-laws a nice bird so they know the benefits of the BGE.

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,741
    Welcome to the club, brave of you to get n xl out of the box. I got my first egg a while ago and its a mini. It is a great cooker large or small.
    Seattle, WA
  • Kasey595Kasey595 Posts: 20
    I have the plate setter but perhaps a direct cook may be best in this case..... I just don't know
    Love my egg did a ton of research before the purchase
    Thanks for the welcome
    Has anyone rubbed butter under the skin and just let it baste so to speak, and if so how did that turn out?
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    Raised direct at 400. Spatchcock your bird. It's fast, easy and tastes great. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    Thanks for the tip travistrick I will look to use that
  • Raised direct at 400. Spatchcock your bird. It's fast, easy and tastes great. 

+1. Yes you can put rub or butter under the skin. No problem. For spatchcocked info go to www.nakedwhiz.com you will find photos etc for this method.
  • Brine thy turkey!! There are all kinds of brines on the internet.I use a maple syrup brine,brine for 24hrs and once you do you will never cook another with out it.I do indirect at 500 for 30min gets the skin nice and golden, then drop heat to 350 cook until internal temp is 161 wrap in foil and take of the grill.14lb-16lb turkey.If you want to get fancy smoke thy turkey low but lots of smoke apple,pecan etc. for about an hour main goal is to just smother the bird with smoke(after you have brined it of course) then if you have a deep fryer drop it in.If done right you will trap all the smoke in a fried bird.We call it the"triple lindy"in my family.
    Thanks for the info to all it will help me out.
  • Wanted to post a photo of the bird thanks for the info....
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,633
    edited December 2012
    Nothing against you Lilpossum, but the OP is a beginner and there's no need in making this difficult by muddying the water. Spatchcock it like Travis said. Its easy and great. Its sure impress your in-laws with a WOW!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• Sorry old thread.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• JteamJteam Posts: 1
    edited January 2013