Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Craycort 3 part cast iron grate

Options
mrjwhit
mrjwhit Posts: 83
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got this grate last week. So far I'm impressed with the sear marks and it's ability to hold heat. I was wondering if anyone else has this grate on a Large BGE.  http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grids-for-bge-and-kamados/large-eggs-primos-domes/cast-iron-grate-for-18-5-grills.html

My question is that the grate seems a little small. The factory grate that came with the BGE is a little bigger. When I was cleaning the new grate it fell into the grill! Was kind of a mess, but I made due. Anyone have this happen to them? 
Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Use mine all the time and love it. Never had it fall into the grill.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I use a 24" for my XL to cook down low.  I love it!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Don't have one but looking to buy one take a look at the functionality of it, video is in German so be warned. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_r9aln3KmvM
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I have one for my large. It is smaller, but not small enough to fall in. I got the griddle insert with mine and it didn't fit in the frame. I had to grind off the rough casting and season to get it to work.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I got one and it is great. Never had it fall in the grill. It is slightly smaller but not small enough to fall in. I love what it does for steak.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I have the little tool to remove the grates from when I had a craycort grate on my weber.  Can anyone use that thing?  I would take $10 shipped for it (just to cover shipping and boxing it up).
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • empireman
    Options
    I have the same problem.  I have a MEDIUM BGE and I am extremely disappointed that the only CRAYCORT grid is ONE model which is supposed to fit BOTH the medium and the small eggs.  This is just stupid as it is always fallilng inside the medium egg and when the coals are hot - it's a major pain in the ass to deal with.  I have tried calling Craycort a number of times, but no one answers and no call back.  Don't get me wrong - if they made this the correct size to fit the medium egg and installed hinges on the grid itself so you could just 'flip" it up the same way you can with the stainless grids - he would have a winner.  Would I buy this again - NOPE!  Not unless I was buying it for a SMALL BGE.  Take notice Craycort - so many blogs not 100% happy with your product!
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    dweebs0r said:

I have the little tool to remove the grates from when I had a craycort grate on my weber.  Can anyone use that thing?  I would take $10 shipped for it (just to cover shipping and boxing it up).

The tool works grate. You have to pick the section out closer to the corners and not in the middle.