Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt on the Mini trial

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to try a pork butt on the mini, picked up 4lbs of but and used whatever was in my cabinet with some mustard. I let the coals go for about an hour before putting any food in since it hit 250 degrees while warming up but not all the coals were lit, is that the proper method to burn off the new charcoal smoke? The one hang up is having to pull the termometer out as far as u can to allow the butt to fit. Not sure anything bigger could have made it in, thought I seen some guys do up to 5lbs on a mini.
So pics below are of start and 4 1/2 hours in. Dome temp was reading around 250 degrees I didnt have much time to play with it and the mini kept trying to jump to 300 on me. Still have some charcoal left pork temp is 168 right now I hope we can make it to the finish line. Filled just above the firebox all new charcoal to start. Mini Woo, Pizza stone and pie tin with some foil for drippings.

Seattle, WA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    Options
    After about 7 hours of burn time and 6 cook sitting at 175 but the charcoal is gone and temp dropping. Pulled the butt and will start up more coals.
    Am I correct in allowing the burn off of the smoke on low and slow, and does it take longer since temp is lower and not all coals light or did I waste cooking time?
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Other than the fizzle out on the charcoal finished up real good, about 7.5 hour cooktime not includint the 30 minute break to get coals up and running again. Do i go past the box and fill part of the fire ring? The last part cooked @ dome 300 so it moved much faster, I will go higher temp next time rather than the 250 i was showing for first 5+ hours.
    I got great smoke ring and I used apple wood pellets I had leftover wrapped in foil. This was my first smoke on the green egg and the flavor surpasses the terracotta pot smoker.
    Good thing the mini is only good for high heat cooks.

Dinners Up

Seattle, WA
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    Impressive! The mini has might!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job. I have yet to try a small butt on the Mini but when I do I'll load it midway up the fire ring with Wicked Good lump. I think the high density will be enough to get through the cook on one load. What lump did you use?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Yeah could be the lump. I used green egg charcoal, which is my first ever experience with hardwood lump. Lots of small pieces so will try better charcoal with thicker pieces and go higher in the fire ring.
    What about the unlit charcoal that lights during cooking on low and slow, is there a risk of the smoke affecting the food? 
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    No problem with that smoke. Shouldn't be much anyway. Oh in regards to your wait of 1 hr after startup, I don't typically wait that long in the Mini (usually 40-45 mins) but not a huge difference from what you did.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice job. You don't see many people attempting butts on a mini, but looks like you nailed it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have done butts on the mini before. I cook them at 350 and then wrap them when they reach 160. It usually takes about 4-5 hours and I don't run out of lump...love the mini while camping & at home...