Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pork Vermicelli Bowl

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I often have a dish at the local Pho restaurant called Bún Tht Nướng (BBQ Pork w/Vermicelli) which actually uses grilled pork but I thought I'd substitute pulled pork as I had a butt that needed to be cooked.

So just after Midnight I put the butt on the Large Egg and let it smoke over some hickory & cherry wood:

image   After a couple of hours of smoke, I bumped up the temp on the Stoker and went to bed. After about an 8 1/2 hr cook, the butt was ready to come off: image   Wrapped in foil, and placed into a small cooler for a rest until lunch time. image   The little 12 QT Ice Cube cooler is a great size for a single 8 lb butt and a couple of bath towels: image   A few hours later I gathered these ingredients for the Nuoc Cham sauce(red boat fish sauce, sugar, water, lime juice, garlic, thai chili, and a shallot):
image   Nuoc Cham with all of the ingredients mixed in: image   From there I moved on to prepping the veggies (carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce): image   Into a bowl went some vermicelli topped with the carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce, and drizzled with some Nouc Cham sauce: image   I took the pork out of the cooler and pulled off what we needed: image   and it topped the bowl: image   Everything was tossed to mix everything together and then the eating began!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Love it! Great idea.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is one of my favorite dishes anywhere but I can never get the pork right. I love the idea of pulled pork but did you use any of the traditional seasonings on the pork or just smoke? I live the way that grilled pork with the traditional grill suace on it. Love this cook- great idea
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Love it! Great idea.

Thanks!

This is one of my favorite dishes anywhere but I can never get the pork right. I love the idea of pulled pork but did you use any of the traditional seasonings on the pork or just smoke? I live the way that grilled pork with the traditional grill suace on it. Love this cook- great idea

I didn't use any Vietnamese seasonings on the pork.  I like the vietnamese grilled pork but wasn't prepared to try recreating that.  I'm not a fan of their dried shredded pork (find it too dry for my tastes) so I seasoned & cooked the pork like any other butt cook and IMO it paired well with the rest of the ingredients.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love it! Great idea.

Thanks!

I didn't use any Vietnamese seasonings on the pork.  I like the vietnamese grilled pork but wasn't prepared to try recreating that.  I'm not a fan of their dried shredded pork (find it too dry for my tastes) so I seasoned & cooked the pork like any other butt cook and IMO it paired well with the rest of the ingredients.

Cool. I'm on the warpath to find that grilled pork sauce. I'll keep you in the loop if I find a good one
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Sounds good C-T S!  I'll try to do some research as well & will let you know if I come up with anything worthy.

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds good C-T S!  I'll try to do some research as well & will let you know if I come up with anything worthy.
    Cool. We should be able to get this done between the 2 of us.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I love the bun at Vietnamese restaurants, too, beef or pork with spring roll. Check out Andrea Nguyen's blog, Viet World Kitchen, for the pork recipe. I've done it and it's really good. Nguyen is a cookbook author of note.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm
    Options
    Looks like you used cellophane or tapioca noodles instead of rice? Love the Red Boat.
  • jlsm
    Options
    For the beef, I use Saveur's recipe for beef satay. I cut the soy with half water because I find this a bit salty (and I like salt). 

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

2 tbsp. grated orange zest

4 tsp. fish sauce

1 1/2 tsp. dark brown sugar

1 tsp. canola oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb. beef sirloin, cut into 1-wide, 1/4-thick slices 

Puree soy sauce, cilantro, orange zest, fish sauce, sugar, oil, and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Toss paste and beef in a bowl; chill 4 hours.

Build a hot charcoal fire in a grill. Thread 1 piece of beef each on 12 skewers; grill, turning, until charred, about 5 minutes.

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Looks like you used cellophane or tapioca noodles instead of rice? Love the Red Boat.

Yup, cellophane due to a miscommunication with my wife who told me we had vermicelli at home and the package did say vermicelli but not "rice vermicelli". The recipe I was using is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/rice-vermicelli-bun-thit-recipe/index.html Thanks for the pork & beef recipes!

Bay Area, CA
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    Awesome dish. I visited Vietnam a few years ago and took a cooking class where this was the main dish we made. I prefer the Hanoi style Bun cha which includes little meatballs as well as the thin pork rasher. A good Hanoi recipe is http://ediblyasian.info/recipes/bun-cha-ha-noi-hanoi-grilled-pork-

Going to have to make some soon..

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome dish. I visited Vietnam a few years ago and took a cooking class where this was the main dish we made. I prefer the Hanoi style Bun cha which includes little meatballs as well as the thin pork rasher. A good Hanoi recipe is http://ediblyasian.info/recipes/bun-cha-ha-noi-hanoi-grilled-pork-

Going to have to make some soon..

Nice! I'm on this like a dog on a bone. Looks like the perfect place to start
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    @killborn - Thx for the recipe. Will need to check it out.

Bay Area, CA
  • jlsm
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link. I love this site. Did you see the grilled beef jerky