Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pastrami. Going to start corning a brisket this weekend.

nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  I have a packer brisket, and I'm reading up.  I have everything I need except a clear process.

I'll take pics to document my success or embarrassing public failure.  I have no shame.

·

Comments

• EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    Good luck. I've done a quick brine to make the pastrami. No way I would call it an official method, but the flavor isn't too bad. Just be careful of the salt penetration. It can get over-bearing.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

I have not used this particular method....but it looks pretty good. You will love home made pastrami!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Ruhlman's looks good.  Reading.  As my mouth is on FIRE from this naga jolokia burger I just made and I'm about half way though.  Holy yow yow yow yow!!!!

·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 154
    I had the same idea this is the one I am try it says in the recipe if you skip soaking in water before you toss it on your making corned beef not sure if this correct though????
    http://bossmanbbq.com/2007/04/18/smoked-pastrami/
    ·
    That's an interesting spin on it.  I'm seeing a lot of diversity in recipes.  That makes me understand the underlying processes better.

·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I love Pastrami!  Yummy, let us know what you end up doing, the process, and the results!  
    ·
    I will, and at worst, I'll teach everyone what NOT to do....

·
    Yahoo answers had some interesting thoughts. The more I read the more I am thinking that it is technically pastrami that I will be making. As long as I can cover it with Russian dressing and kraut and have it taste good.

I also hope it turns out so I can chop some and make a hash with it. If that works I may have to convince the wife I need a weekly budget for it I could eat corned beef hash and eggs every day!
    ·
    The ingredient for pastrami IS corned beef.  It would be too easy to buy some corned beef and turn it into pastrami.  Let me know how it goes....

·
    I read Ruhlman's pastrami recipe.  I ordered his book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing.

I'm going to roughly follow his recipe, although I think I'm going to change the spices for a more Italian spiced version (juniper berries plus cut down on a few sweet aromatics).  I'm more of a gin/savory person.  I'll be making the brine tomorrow, and starting the corning.

·
  • Outlaw77Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Nola, I've done this receipt 3 times and I love it http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html I've only used store bought corned beef though. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    @Outlaw77 what temp did you pull that out at. It looks perfect for lunch meat. My first attempt was delicious but I over cooked it because some spots shredded when I sliced it.
    ·
  • Wow looks great!  Thanks for the pics.  This is on my todo list...
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • Outlaw77Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Brownie, I think I pulled all of them at 195. They all sliced really good. I didn't do the steam step in above recipe.
    ·
    Cool, thanks. I remember pulling mine around 175*, but I FTC for about 4 hours because I wanted hot sammies for dinner. The FTC was probably my fault for shred quality.
    ·
    Thanks outlaw77, I just finished reading that link.  Learning more and more.  Going to make my brine today.

·
    Started corning.

imageimageimageimageimage

·
    @nolaegghead keep us posted. You have a nice looking start.
    ·
    I just bought a bunch of beer and that 16 quart pan wouldn't fit in my shop fridge without removing a shelf, so I had to cut the brisket in half on put in two tupperware containers. 

I'm going to flip once a day, brine for at least 8 days (they're thick).

I did use a 4 oz injector and injected about 20 ounces through two holes, one on each side, working the brine into different sections.

After 8 days, I'll take out and rinse and post more pics.  I'm going to do a fresh water soak and change the water a few times, then I should have corned beef.  Step 2: pastrami. 

·
    Need an update how did it go?
    ·
    Just put it on the grill 30 minutes ago.  The point side half.   Boiling part of the other side for corned beef.

·
    Some pics...

Also pulled two Canadian bacon loins out of the brine, drying overnight.  And just started drying a small pancetta.
    imageimageimageimage

·
    looking good.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice...I've been holding out on curing things that needed to hang to dry for any length of time. I live in Colorado and the humidity levels are way lower than recommended. I think I'm gonna give a pancetta and duck prosciutto a shot to see how it goes.
    ·
    New Orleans isn't ideal - hot and humid outside, cool and dry inside.  I'm just going to go for it.  I got a wild hair up my ass this weekend and started building a cold smoker.  I'll start a thread soon...I'm sure to have about 20 backseat engineers chiming in, should be fun.

·
    Smoked the pastrami to 155-ish.  Pulled it off.  Put it in the fridge.  I'll portion it by cutting it in half, then steam for 2-3 hours before carving.

·
    Took the smoked pastrami out of the fridge from yesterday, steamed for 3 hours and, maybe I'm jaded because I made it, I think it was the best pastrami I've ever had.  Like butter! 

Sorry about the crappy pictures.  I'm too lazy to get out my SLR.

imageimage

·
    Oh, temps.

I smoked to 155F.

Refrigerated overnight, because it was late.

Steamed to 197F.

Then nom nom nom nom

·
  • Looks awesome!
    ·
    Thanks, Lizzie!

·