Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer Brisket

Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a brisket to make pastrami, but who wants 13.5lb of pastrami? I am considering cutting it in half (by length not weight) to brine one part, and to low and slow the side with the majority of the point for a party on saturday. I'm still a noob to brisket and wanted some thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• For sure. Just cut the thinner part of the flat off to brine and smoke the thick point/flat part. That's the cut Mr. CookingNurse did on his thread yeaterday before it went sideways. :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Thanks. I was also thinking about cutting a pound or two out for burgers. Should I grind up a section from the point/flat side or skip the burger grinding?
  • Thanks. I was also thinking about cutting a pound or two out for burgers. Should I grind up a section from the point/flat side or skip the burger grinding?
    You can cut it our of either but I would use the flat for that too and just smoke the big fat point/flat side. I like leaving all that together as much as I can

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    I did the same thing - cut it in half around where the point starts, just to have more manageable sized pieces prior to corning.  That was 8 days ago.  I took a chunk off one of those and I'm cooking some corned beef as we speak.  The rest will go to pastrami.

Since then, I bought some bins that are big enough to handle a whole packer.
    The point is the best part of the pastrami, and hamburger is hamburger.  I'd cut off the flat for burger and throw in some fat from trimming.
    Alright, sounds like I have a plan. I will section the meat and begin the brine tomorrow. Maybe freeze the "overnight" cut for a few days so the fridge don't smell like a meat locker. Should be fun!
  • Brownie
    I did the same thing - cut it in half around where the point starts, just to have more manageable sized pieces prior to corning.  That was 8 days ago.  I took a chunk off one of those and I'm cooking some corned beef as we speak.  The rest will go to pastrami.

Since then, I bought some bins that are big enough to handle a whole packer.
    I was following your pastrami post. You should update it so we can check it out. Thanks for the ideas.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    First since I love pastrami I did the full thing but then vacuum sealed the extra. Doing half is just as good if you want some of each just depends on size of your egg to me if you are doing one might as well do two. I have not done any grinding but it is on the list form what I have read the flat side.
  • Brownie
    @setdahook and @nolaegghead The two of your posts are the reasons I wanted to brine my own. The reason I wanted to make another is my last one was wonderful even though it was already corned.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Its tough to get anything better than a good pastrami sammy!!! One thing that I am hoping for like I said in another post its hard to over season mine could have been bumped up a bit on the dry rub after the seven day soak and rinse. I am hoping  @nolaegghead updates on his so I can maybe borrow some of his info also.
  • Brownie
    I'm sure Nola won't have a problem sharing once he/she is done cooking and eating.