Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Funky pizza taste?.

Options
bearmontana
bearmontana Posts: 19
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried several different types of dough and still getting this funky taste when cooking pizzas! Anyway it can be the pizza stone?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Funky? Explain please...
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Crazy question, but you haven't cleaned the stone with soap have you?
    XL BGE
  • bearmontana
    Options
    It's so hard to explain. The taste is just not right. I've cleaned it but not with a lot of soap.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    With any soap?
    XL BGE
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Cleaning with soap is not an issue, with the right stone.

I have an Emile Henry stone and its more than soap and dishwasher safe. 

Are you using corn meal at all to help slide the pies? I did and it burned on my last cook, leaving a funky acrid taste. 
  • bearmontana
    Options
    I will try washing it thoroughly with soap and water. Crazy sounding but it's driving us not to cook pizza anymore! I will keep everyone posted. Hope that's the case!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    the only time you can use ANY soap is on glazed stones (smooth shiny surface like the Emile Henry).

Not sure what you can do to eliminate that taste if soap was used to clean.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Could it be the lump or not letting it get to clear smoke?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i would think unless your using a ton of smoke and nothing else tastes bad when cooked its your stone i'd buy a new stone 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You should NOT have to wash your stone. Please describe what it tastes like. Is it like amonia?

Options
    Try not using the stone.  I the off taste goes away, then it's your stone.  In that case you can try soaking the stone in water overnight.
    Options
    I don't think you could get the egg hot enough for pizza without getting to clear smoke. I'm still thinking it sounds like a soap taste or something has gotten into the stone, but it could be burned cornmeal or something. Although burned flour or cornmeal just typically tastes like something burned.
    XL BGE
  • JWBurns
    Options
    Could always load up the egg with the stone and do a clean burn.. may require more than one, but it may help
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dirty egg will do it, i let it burn a good long time before pizza or bread goes in it, i want it burning extra clean
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bearmontana
    Options
    Normally just heat the stone and wipe down as necessary? Only BGE charcoaled used. I'm certain it's the stone but wanted to see if anyone else had issues. Wish I could explain the "funky" taste!
  • JWBurns
    Options
    You never replied about your use of cornmeal or excessive flour on the stone..
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I usually fire up the egg to 650 plus or minus and let the stone heat up for 40 minutes.  By that time, whatever funk from the last lo n slows has cooked off.  If you're cooking pizza at 450, I can see where that could be a problem.
    Options
    I usually fire up the egg to 650 plus or minus and let the stone heat up for 40 minutes.  By that time, whatever funk from the last lo n slows has cooked off.  If you're cooking pizza at 450, I can see where that could be a problem.
    i agree, not hot enough for long enough to burn clean and every thing that goes in there for a setup needs to be burnt clean, platesetter stone etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bearmontana
    Options
    Sorry JW.. No excesive use of flour or cormeal. Just use it when rolling out the dough Best way to describe the smell is like a wet sour mop! Hope replacing it will be the quick fix!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Never used soap on my stone. Not sure I've ever washed it, just wiped it down and cleaned it with high heat. Pretty sure I read not to use soap on the BGE stone.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I have a BGE stone for a large. Cooked pizza anywhere form 450 to 650*.Always used cornmeal to slide off. I aslo never cleaned it with anything .

Did 2 on saturday. One was a cheese burger pizza and one was a makeshift traditional.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• bearmontana
    Options

Thanks everyone who helped! Buying a new one and hopefully this will resolve the issue!

FOR SALE: FUNKY PIZZA STONE