Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

Options
easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to try to smoke a turkey on the BGE.  Any tips on doing this?

Time? Temp?  Wood?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here's my two cents-first-I routinely smoke turkey breasts on the BGE at around 250*F on the dome for about 30 mins/# to 160*F.  I use cherry wood but many use pecan.  As far as the whole bird-I do those spatchcock so no help with smoking info there.  I'm sure whole turkey smokers will be along. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    for a 14 to 18 pounder, thats the size range i like to cook

325 for 15 minutes a pound makes a great roast turkey 158/160 internal then a long rest. this is a traditional thanksgiving day roasted turkey

250/270 for about 6 to 7 hours kicking temp up towards the end gives a great juicy smoked turkey, 165 internal and a shorter rest. this makes the best turkey salad but not the best for tday

for a bbq i did this cook low and slow, longer, wanted the turkey slightly dry and pullable, take it to 180 breast and pull immediately and add a wet watery sauce and then rest 10 minutes with the sauce. this makes a bbq turkey sandwich. i like this cook and it would make a great summer bbq cook
    imagehttp://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey#latest

the pic with the injector was when the bird was actually done and could have been served, it was really juicy at this point, if you notice the bird was cooked upsidedown so juices from the dark meat flowed down, i used to roast alot of birds in the oven and upsidedown gave the juiciest product although presentation would suffer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it