Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket W/ Burnt Ends

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I did a flat a month ago but I thought I would try the full packer after all the help I've read on the forum here. I got a choice cut CAB packer about 13 lbs. Trimmed to about 11 lbs. Added yellow mustard, rub and covered for 24 hours. Put on at 250 grate temp, hickory smoke, indirect with water in the drip pan. 14 hours till 200° and thermopen easily slides in. Pulled, removed the point and foiled the flat in a cooler. I cubed the point, splash of apple cider vinegar and apple juice with a little more rub and back on in a CI skillet for another hour.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• bigguy136

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136

Big Lake, Minnesota

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Good god, man!!!!!! That is impressive. How did it taste?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    wow that is all sorts of awesome. nice work
  • Looks great!  Haven't brought myself to try another brisket yet.  I've only done 1 flat so far & it was more than enough meat for just my wife & I.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Wow you nailed it appearance wise! How did it taste?

I'm doing my first brisket friday night for my extended family, and I gotta tell you - I'm nervous as hell!
  • bigguy136

Thanks! It taste good and was moist but I'm worried it might be a little dry when I re-heat it.

I was thinking of cutting loose the point before adding the rub. When I'm grilling it, I would stack the point where it would normally be and then when the point is done (seperate temp probe in it), I could easily pull the point without disturbing the flat. Then cut up the point and continue. Anyone tried that? 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Wow you nailed it appearance wise! How did it taste? I'm doing my first brisket friday night for my extended family, and I gotta tell you - I'm nervous as hell!

With an egg, it will be easy. I hohnestly showed and explained every step I did. If you like it, just follow. There are so many people here that got me this far and all with great advise.

My next one, I think I will change the rub I use. There were some dried onion in the rub and I was looking for something else. Maybe another one next weekend??

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Wow looks amazing. I'm jealous. I'm trying brisket again real soon. It was a super hit with the family and I see all kinda of room for improvement. Are the burnt ends juicy??

Also @jwburns it is so easy with the egg. I did my first Saturday and was wo surprised at how good it went.

XLBGE 
  • bigguy136
    Burnt ends were a little dry when I was cutting them but after an hour in the CI pan, they were soft and chewy bites of heaven. I should've trimmed any dry edges of the flat and added those to the pan also. Will do again soon.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• "I should've trimmed any dry edges of the flat and added those to the pan also. Will do again soon."

+1. I'm not a big burnt end guy but when you chop up the dry parts of the flat and sauce them, they are great. I make sandwiches out of chopped up flat- they are great
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Wow looks like you had an amazing result!