Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moist Chicken

Options
DDay6642
DDay6642 Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

All right what is the secret to cooking moist chicken? I tried to cook at 350 till 190+ in the thigh and it never got there and it is dry. What did I do wrong. Is it supposed to be indirect or direct? I am guessing indirect because I went direct and it dried out on me.

Also I see a lot of talk about grid temp vs dome temp. What is the temperature difference and should I take it for granted that it is dome temp or grid temp when I read if not stated? I am just trying to learn from the experts to get down the learning curve as fast as possible. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I always have success with spatchcock chix, direct-raised grid around 350*F on the dome.  Takes around 45-60 mins til 160*F in the breast and 180+ in the thigh.  Here's a great link for all things ceramic and check out the recipe section as well- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    whether indirect or direct, it doesn't matter.

'dry' is always 'overcooked' when you are talking meat.  salt can't do it, manner of cooking can't do it... it's simply when the meat has had the water driven off.  at 190, you are flirting with disaster.  breast meat is 'safe' at 14o, but still pink (unnerving for many).  150-160 will till be moist, and it will be solid white throughout.

for legs and wings, i personally like them a little higher, even 195-200.  thigh meat is totally different than breast meat and has fat and collagen enough to keep things fairly moist feeling (not truly moist though, there's little water left). i like the firmer texture of 190s thighs/drums. you may want them done lower

might try the leg/thighs around 175-180.  they are certainly done by then.  at thoselower temps, you can always put them on a bit more too, if they feel too soft.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    if your cooking a whole bird, it needs to be off the grill before the breast hits 165, its already starting to get dry at 165 internal, dont even worry about the legs at that point.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    When I do whole ckn I cook the breast to 170. My wife eats the gross white meat and I get the thighs and legs. When the breast is 170, the thighs are perfect.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    once again lousubcap is all over it....naked whiz recipe will turn out some great chicken and hard to mess that one up....drink an adult koolaid and get the tunes going....life is that simple....just do it!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Options
    I cooked this chicken until the breast was right at 160*. However, I brined the chicken overnight. I'm told that brining isn't needed when using an Egg, so I'll be trying it the same way next time...minus the brine.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Options
    Sorry...it was extremely juicy!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    My wife and I like beer can chicken with a rub.  We grill at 350 dome until breast is 165.  The thighs are always perfect when the breast is 165.   A lot of people prefer spatchcocked but we still like beer can better.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI