Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ugh ABT nightmare

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,711
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So i love spicy food.... So a cooked jalapeño.. Im down. I have done abts 3-4 times now.. And every time they have lacked in heat. Ice tried leaving the seeds In.. Takimg them out.. And most recently i used swamp venom dp.. Still weak.. What am i missing here?
·

Comments

• I've not ice
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,472
    When you buy your jalapenos, look for the ones with the striations - stretch marks.  The older peppers are hotter - the capsicum concentration increases with time on the vine.  Another option is to add some heat.  Melinda's makes a naga jolokia sauce that I've been going nuts with (I love heat).  

·
    ...and of course the seeds and membrane have most of the heat, sounds like you already tried leaving that in...keep doing that.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,242
    Hottest peppers I ate besides ghost chilies were whole roasted large jalapeños we threw on for a low n slow of about 3 hours on the weber with some ribs. They were completely black on the outside steaming heat ears red and fire breathing on the inside or too much makers mark and I'm just a baby but I remember their wasnt enough milk in the house that night
    ·
  • Bumm39Bumm39 Posts: 52
    Sprinkle with "Daves Insanity" Habanero Powder it works great!!!
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 557
    edited August 2012
    i find when i go to a farm and buy jalapenos, they are typically hotter than the grocery store- same style, etc imo. 
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    most of the heat is in the membranes, not the seeds. when you scrape out the seeds though, the membranes go with them.

green jalapenos are hotter than red
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 85

i find when i go to a farm and buy jalapenos, they are typically hotter than the grocery store- same style, etc imo. 
    I'll second that, the farm stand and farm market jalapenos here are much hotter than the greenhouse grown stuff at the grocery store. I have also grown some jalapenos in my garden which tended to be hotter too. Maybe it is all the sun and the slow growing outside, really lets them concentrate the heat.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
    ·
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    An episode of Americas Test Kitchen stated that pepper grown "under stress" can be up to 10x hotter than those not.  They defined under stress as grown outside in high heat with minimal watering. 
    ·
  • Try serrano peppers. The guy where I bought my new egg and jalepeno popper tool yesterday said the longer they cook the milder they get.. someone please explain to this newbie exactly what abt stands for....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 640
    Stands for Atomic Buffalo Turd (ABT). Any kind of stuffed jalapeño cooked on the grill or smoker.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • Thanks....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • stike said:

most of the heat is in the membranes, not the seeds. when you scrape out the seeds though, the membranes go with them.

green jalapenos are hotter than red

How would i make room in the pepoer without removing the membrane?

@nola good advice to look for bigger peppers
    ·
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 481
    X1 on the "Stressed " peppers, greenhouse grown most likely gets water every day, farm grown probably gets what mother nature supplies . Which this year ,in the mid west will lead to some pretty hot peppers I would guess.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 455
    Try stuffing a habanero, Serrano, or other type pepper hotter on the scale? And buy some toilet paper....and Tums.....and have an ice pack ready for your rectum. :D
    Athens, GA
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    take the seeds out, just leave the membranes

i use a small spoon (like for espresso).
    still, even taking out the membranes the jalapenos should be hot.

you can't remove it all, so you must have just had very mild jalapenos

ours, from our yard, have always been almost too hot.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,713
    Get some "rattlesnake dust" it's hot as sin.... The good kind of sin.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 502
    I like to finely chop a whole serano pepper (seeds and all) in with the cream cheese.  Just enough fire to heat them up a bit.  The problem with this is the fire is not consistent because the cheese is so thick.  Some will be much hotter than others depending on the amount of pepper in the bite.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 290
    Add cayenne pepper to the filling. A little dab will do ya.
    ·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    I grow my own. Once they set fruit, I stop watering. They are too hot for me to eat raw. One drawback is they rarely grow as pretty when they get little water. My advice, buy the ugly jalapenos if ya want em hot.
    ·
    You scoop all the crap out pepper anyway  - membrane and seeds.  If you want adult strength heat, mix the stuff you scrape out with your stuffing.  Small spoon or butterknife works fine.   The inside of peppers is mostly air.  You generally over-stuff it....just like making deviled eggs.

·