Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vinegar

mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
making a sauce for ribs - is there a difference between "white vinegar" & "apple cider vinegar" - maybe taste or strength

thanks

mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Both are normaly 5% acidity. There is a taste difference.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    +1, for me I love Apple cider in sauce, White in mayo based potato & Mac salad.

Otherwise I usually only use white to feed my coffee maker. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Apple cider vinegar tastes a little apple-y and has a little sugar in it, white vinegar is like a fine vodka - it's distilled and has virtually no impurities (or taste).  I use cider.
    Apple cider vinegar tastes a little apple-y and has a little sugar in it, white vinegar is like a fine vodka - it's distilled and has virtually no impurities (or taste).  I use cider.
    +1 to that.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Note that not all brands of cider vinegar are actually cider vinegar. Look at the label. Some expensive brands are not, but I won't name names. I usually use either the White House or Publix brands, which are actually made from apples.

Tim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ive only used the cider for bbq sauce. was thinking the other day about ketchup, is heinz big in the south or is it another brand down there, different ketchups would play into flavor as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Heinz is the biggest here in the Deep South, too. I grew up not liking Hunt's, but now to my adult tastes, it is the best of the big brands.

Tim
  • hopkinsusmc87
    hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
    edited August 2012

toad - cider vinegar is the way to go! Ive made some real good sauce with it and its got that nice kick to it.  Here you go:

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·         1 cup cider vinegar

·         1 tablespoon salt

·         1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

·         1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

·         1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions

1.     In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using.  You can add or take away depending on what you’re looking for.  Add some ketchup or even regular black pepper, be creative.