Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me nail my first butt!

Options
2»

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Okay. So I went with Cen Tex's suggestion and dialed the egg in at around 290. After letting it settle there for 40 minutes, the butt went on at around 1:30 am. I kept an eye on it for about 30 more minutes and then went to sleep. When I woke up to check it at 4:00, all was well. But, when I got up at 6:00, the temp had climbed to almost 350. Who knows how long it had been that high? In any event, internal temp is already at 177, so we may be having BBQ for lunch instead of dinner. I hope it's not ruined.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

You are fine and remember you can FTC this thing for 4-5 hours easily.  And you will likely (although not guaranteed) see a very slow temp rise from the low-mid 180's to 190's.  Dial down the dome temp and you should be fine.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newegg13
    Options
    Thanks. I got it down to about 270. Should I go a little lower? I wonder what made it climb so much . . .
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    newegg13 said:

Thanks. I got it down to about 270. Should I go a little lower? I wonder what made it climb so much . . .

I'd say..

http://www.orionn49.com/science_of_fire.htm
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You still have several hours to go but you can slow boat it by taking the temp down a little more if you want.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • newegg13
    Options
    It been stalled for a couple hours but I think it's coming out of it. We are at 182 now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It been stalled for a couple hours but I think it's coming out of it. We are at 182 now.

yeah. Should be climbing out. If you want to slow it down, just keep the dome around 225 or so and let it finish up slowly. If not, just FTC it when it's ready in a few hours. It will stay warm for dinner
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I already ate some of mine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • newegg13
    Options
    Pulled it off 11.6 hours later and it smells delicious. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos It's now FTC'd and I'm trying to resist the urge to have a very early dinner!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pulled it off 11.6 hours later and it smells delicious. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos It's now FTC'd and I'm trying to resist the urge to have a very early dinner!

That looks awesome. Nice work. I would say 1st butt has been nailed.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    And I'm sure a good one. @lakewade and I have been friends since 86 (high school) but we only use our pet names for each other in private  :))
    Maintain radio silence.  ;-)

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited August 2012
    Options
    And I'm sure a good one. @lakewade and I have been friends since 86 (high school) but we only use our pet names for each other in private  :))

Okay-not from Texas so I'm confused about who's on first, second and third-not to mention the clean-up guy...And I thought we had a family deal going in Kentucky (woulda used the recognized abbreviation but someone is running with that in the "homestretch"...hell of a pic :)  )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options

Okay-not from Texas so I'm confused about who's on first, second and third-not to mention the clean-up guy...And I thought we had a family deal going in Kentucky (woulda used the recognized abbreviation but someone is running with that in the "homestretch"...hell of a pic :)  )
    Haha, looks like Lizziesamps was spot on!  =))

Nice looking cook @newegg13 =P~
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

=)) So would in be appropriate to say the there was a large tube on Kentucky on the nightstand???? Maybe we should call it by it's formal name?
  • newegg13
    Options
    Brownie said:

lousubcap said:

lakewade said:

Haha, looks like Lizziesamps was spot on!  =))

Nice looking cook @newegg13 =P~
    Thanks. I'll report after dinner time.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options

A little afraid to step in on this sausage fest but grid to down is usually 25-50 difference.

Step right in. Just don't step on the sausage!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • newegg13
    Options
    The results are in. My butt certainly didn't stink. (see what I didn't there?) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Ready to eat Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Nom nom Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos The bark was crunchy and the inside was moist. I will do a couple things differently next time, but this one didn't dissapoint. Thanks for all the guidance and entertainment along the way.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Looks tasty! Great job on your first!