Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Success" or "How to keep messing up and be saved by your egg"

brewbq
brewbq Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made some ribs last night.  Was the first cook I've done with my new adjustable rig.  By cutting the slabs in half I was able to get three St. Louis cut slabs on there at once.  Had a few issues with the egg that were completely avoidable.  First I overshot my temp by about 100 deg, but had to get the ribs going as guest were inbound so I threw them on at 325 and ratcheted the egg way down in an effort to cool it off.  I went too far and snuffed the fire out completely.  Pulled the rig out with ribs on it (that was really easy, the whole thing just lifts out) and restarted the fire.  finally got things going, but that delay meant that I needed to get the ribs done quicker as time was running out.  So I got the egg up to 275 and left it for a few hours.  Everything else went well, except for my buddy dropping one of the foil packets full of drippings (no ribs thankfully) on his foot and burning his leg a bit.  I don't think he minded once he got to eat.  All in all, a successful (if adventurous) cook, though I feel the ribs were a tad overcooked.  No one else cared, but I'm allowed to be picky right?  The real winner of the night was my wife's roasted potatoes that were covered in a horseradish and mustard sauce.  They were really tasty and the tangy-ness went really well against the sweetness of the ribs.  She may have just stumbled onto a side that I request when I make ribs again.  Of course the mint chocolate brownies might have to come back too...

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

All's well that end's well-can't argue with success regardless of how you got there.  BTW-that potatoe description sounds like a winner-additional info?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • All's well that end's well-can't argue with success regardless of how you got there.  BTW-that potatoe description sounds like a winner-additional info?

recipe please
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Sure thing.  

Tender Roasted Potatoes (from Taste of Home quick cooking 2011)
    3 lbs small red potatoes
    2 tbs canola oil
    1/3 cup prepared horseradish
    1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
    2 tbs butter, melted

In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with oil. Place the potatoes on two greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 deg for 30 min.
         Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the horseradish, mustard and butter. Spoon over the potatoes and toss to coat. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until tender.
    Yield: 10 servings

Yeah, this was a winner and highly recommended with sweet meats.
    I'll repost this in the sides subforum too.
  • Now I'll have to try that for a side. Sounds great!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

Now I'll have to try that for a side. Sounds great!

+1. Thanks for the recipe.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Thanks for the recipe-on the "to do" list.  Sounds even better reading the details.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.