Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finish temps for SLICED boneless pork shoulder

Options
schweikher
schweikher Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a 4 lb boneless pork shoulder and would like to SLICE the pork instead of the traditional pull. Im assuming the cooking temps remain the same but what about the finishing temp?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You are ok slicing at 160 - 165. Totally different consistency than 195 degree pulled.
    Options
    I'd slice at the 170-175 range to ensure I'm beyond the stall so that fat and collagen has rendered down some. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoothsmoke, that's the middle of the stall.  if you wait for it to complete the stall, it will fall apart. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • schweikher
    Options
    Is it even worth slicing a shoulder? Probably should have just got with a pork tenderloin instead.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    apples to oranges
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Options
    My father, who introduced me to the Big Green Egg (even bought me mine for Christmas), and I disagree on pork butts. He is a sliced pork guy and I am a pulled pork guy. His pork is good. Mine is better. Likewise, he doesn't dislike mine and is sure to eat plenty when I serve pulled pork BBQ. He cooks his butts at around 300 DT to an internal temp of 170 and lets them rest on a cutting board (not in a picnic cooler, faster cooling) for 30 minutes before slicing. It slices like a pork roast, is white (with a very slight tent of pink), and if sliced thin makes great sliced pork sandwiches. It also chops nicely and can be substituted for ham in many an appetizer or some protein for a salad.