Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Rib cook

Comments

• damn lizzie. I could tell by the tops that your fire was running hot. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • No, I am so MAD right now, dome 300 stupid ass thing must have been WAY off. I put them on at 3:30 Went shopping came home to crazy burnt crap!!! I had PS in there for the indirect, I am going to check dome thermo when I get home! Now we have to try to find someplace to eat lat minute with 7 of us! That is going to be fun on a Sat. At 7:00pm. ARGH. Not happy, Lizzie, not happy!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    hey lizzie did you put them on direct? they need to be indirect. I have done them many times now, and they go for about 2+2+1 indirect and are perfect. Dome temps between 250 and 275 or so. Sorry, ^^^ :(

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

That thing has got to be waaaaaaaay off-they can drift (once you initially check them out) but not like what I'm guessing you will find.  No humor right now-Geez!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited August 2012
    I have never had issues Getting up to temp and was so confused why it was taking so long. Then the maverick was I thought way off, I am guessing it was right and done thermo is bad. Epic FAIL! I should have trusted myself that it was just not going right. :(( "Everything is not all right"
  • lousubcap
    Please let us know the off-set once you check out that dome thermo. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    My new teltru dome thermo ALWAYS runs very low, except when i check it in boiling water. Amazes me

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yeah...so sorry for ya Lizzie. Even at 300 you wouldnt have gotten those burnt results. Sooo sorry...you'll get em next time.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @#!*% lizzie. I could tell by the tops that your fire was running hot. 
    I have never had issues Getting up to temp and was so confused why it was taking so long. Then the maverick was I thought way off, I am guessing it was right and done thermo is bad. Epic FAIL! I should have trusted myself that it was just not going right. :(( "Everything is not all right"
    You learn through cooks like this. I was kind of thinking today to just rip my dome thermo out and leave my maverick in the drawer for a while. "Use the force". Kind of funny, I used to make fun of the older Weber Thermos that just said cool.....warm.....hot or smoke.....grill.......sear, but I honestly think we get so caught up in having to be at (insert temp here) to make this perfect. it's just not true. I can tell when my egg is hot and when it's set to do low and slow. I think I'll do that for a few weeks and see how it goes.

• lousubcap
    There is no substitution for the proverbial "gut feel".  I have been saved by that more times than I can recall (not all in the Q sense).  Of course, the counter especially when starting out is "believe your indications" unless you have something that is just plain out-of-line.  A severe left-turn in the journey-
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Ct and lou are right. My dome was physically hot to the touch. TelTru read 200. I set vents for what i knew was 250-300 and ignored the teltru all day. That thing is whacked. I dont like it

Short stem takes forever to read properly
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Another thing: Just as in high heat cooks, low temp cooks need a very clean air venting system. Otherwise the temps are all over the place, and the egg temps rise up with every decent breath of air it gets and then drops. I have started to clean ash and all the vent holes with a kabob skewer before I light the egg each time. Then the rest of the cook goes well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• LizzieSamps
    edited August 2012
    I clean out ash and make sure the holes are free before each cook. I came home and pulled the dome thermo It was bent? I found that very odd. Boiling water now!
  • LizzieSamps
    edited August 2012
    Pic of dome thermo in boiling water ! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Pic of thermopen Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Did you put the plate setter in?
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Wow Lizzie that thing was off a good bit.  I know it's unfortunate to have a cook go bad, but at least on this one you found the variable that was off.  The worst is not knowing why something went wrong.

• Yes, and my poor hubby that was watching the temp when I went to the store, at least I can't blame him. Not that I would ever do that!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Sorry Liz!! I assumed the maverick had a faulty cord as you said it let you down again. Didn't even think that your dome themo was the culprit.

Sucks...but this is something you can learn from. Hopefully there was some rib meat you could salvage from the top layer.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ok tested all thermos

Maverick probe
  • Maverick grid probe
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Wow - sorry Lizzie! When I saw this I went and checked my dome thermo. It was off by about 20 degrees too! That explains the shorter cook times (and charring) on my last two rib cooks.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • That makes me very sad! Chin up
  • lousubcap
    No consolation here but I have no idea why yours drifted so much-every time I check mine with the boiling water it is dead-on and I do check before every low and slow.  Caulk it up as an expensive (more for the occasion than the $$) lesson learned.  Okay-back on the horse :)
  • ribs are cheap. do more today. I alwasy feel better when I get some revenge quickly on the stuff that goes sideways. I think you learn better by backing it up with a sucessful cook too
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88

Sorry about the ribs.  My dome thermo sucks too.  It sticks.  So sometimes it is dead on, like when I calibrate it.  Sometimes it is more than 100 degrees off. 

I think the best bet is to just get an oven thermometer or smokehouse probe from thermoworks.  That's what I finally did and it is great.  Plus that way you can do dome or grid level temps, whatever you like.

• Yup, I had to teach all morning so heated up brisket tonight, had my parents back over , it was good! I am going to get revenge on these ribs on Monday. Back on the horse! Do you think I should call BGE about the thermo, it would not calibrate, I turned the nut aud it just would hover for a bit and then go back down. Should I contact a local dealer, I need more Dizzy Pig anyway!
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I would just put it out of my mind, personally. For me the dome thermo is nothing more than a hole filler. I wouldn't view its demise as any major loss.
    XL BGE