Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me nail my first butt!

Options
newegg13
newegg13 Posts: 231
edited August 2012 in Pork
Okay folks, tonight will be my first overnight cook: a 7.5 lb butt. Target chow time is 6:00 pm CST tomorrow. Any assistance in helping me nail this butt is appreciated. Current plan: -I'm thinking about going 275 dome (no grid thermo yet) and planning on 1.5 hours per pound. -At that temp, if I put it on at 3:00 am, that should give me plenty of time to spare if I run into trouble. If I finish early,I can just foil and cooler it. Logical? -As advertised in other threads, mustard, DP, and not planning on injecting. Should I? Any thoughts, tips, guidance, and/or off color jokes are appreciated. I'll post pics along the way so you can share in the glory that you helped create.
Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Brocephous brohampton, I just picked a butt up a few min ago. I'm putting it on in the morning. Mustard and DP and finishing with a viniger, honey and other undecided stuff sauce.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • newegg13
    Options
    T-bird: what do you think about my start time? Should I start earlier or later?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Just right. I don't do many butts, but they seem to take forever. Depending on when it stalls, you can always bump up the temp.

Now that I think about it, I may stay up get drunk and let mine cook overnight.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just right. I don't do many butts, but they seem to take forever. Depending on when it stalls, you can always bump up the temp. Now that I think about it, I may stay up get drunk and let mine cook overnight.
    Do you guys need a moment to yourselves, T-Bird and Brocephus? I can come back later
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    talk about nailing your first butt
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • newegg13
    Options
    You can come back now. We are done.

Travis and I go back about 15 years. Lots of shenanigans back in the day.

Back on topic, I got two veterans to respond to my thread but got 0% BBQ advice.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Try the search function-if weak here then use google and big green egg in the header-you will be overwhelmed with info.  After digesting all that then you should be good to go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just pulled one off that was freaking awesome. Mustard, Dizzy and Smoke. I did it at 275 grid which I have never done before. Juice was pouring out. Crust was amazing. This is the best one I've done. It was about 1.5 hrs per lb. Highly recommend the higher temp. I'll never do it any other way. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can come back now. We are done. Travis and I go back about 15 years. Lots of shenanigans back in the day. Back on topic, I got two veterans to respond to my thread but got 0% BBQ advice.
    T-Bird and I go back about 15 days but he seems like good peeps to me

• travisstrick
    Options
    We have been friends since high school. It's a long story.
  • newegg13
    Options

Long story indeed.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And I'm sure a good one. @lakewade and I have been friends since 86 (high school) but we only use our pet names for each other in private  :))
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    In lieu of (not specifically in addition to) bbq advice, you aso asked for off color jokes. I provided a tame bit of innuendo in this regard. Our social contract (which was merely implied to begin with) has been fulfilled.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • newegg13
    Options
    In lieu of (not specifically in addition to) bbq advice, you aso asked for off color jokes. I provided a tame bit of innuendo in this regard. Our social contract (which was merely implied to begin with) has been fulfilled.

Yes. Yes you did.
  • newegg13
    Options
    I just pulled one off that was freaking awesome. Mustard, Dizzy and Smoke. I did it at 275 grid which I have never done before. Juice was pouring out. Crust was amazing. This is the best one I've done. It was about 1.5 hrs per lb. Highly recommend the higher temp. I'll never do it any other way. 

CT: I may try that, but I don't have a grid thermo yet. What's the approximate dome temp for 275 grid?
  • newegg13
    Options
    Try the search function-if weak here then use google and big green egg in the header-you will be overwhelmed with info.  After digesting all that then you should be good to go!

Promise I've done tons of research. I was mainly looking for feedback on my ideas for temp and time.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    A little afraid to step in on this sausage fest but grid to down is usually 25-50 difference.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I'm a big fan of higher than the norm temps. Especialy for brisket.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    275 grid = 300 dome
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Ok closer to 25 , sorry.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

CT: I may try that, but I don't have a grid thermo yet. What's the approximate dome temp for 275 grid?
    what Travis said. I was even a little over 300
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm a big fan of higher than the norm temps. Especialy for brisket.
    Me too
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A little afraid to step in on this sausage fest but grid to down is usually 25-50 difference.
    You are always welcome lizzy. You know that

• newegg13
    Options

You are always welcome lizzy. You know that

Indeed. No sausage fest intended . . . although the title may indicate otherwise.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I'm doing one now and I got the dome at 290 and it's looking good. I'm in the stall right now but still looking good. The bark is great and I used Dizzy Dust and apple wood.
  • newegg13
    Options
    Does anyone ever mix apple and hickory for a butt?  I'm conflicted on my wood choice.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I haven't but I wood..... I mean would.
  • newegg13
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos All prepped and ready to go on. Now the choice: (1) stay up until 2:00am and hope I can see straight enough to get a fire going; or (2) sleep for a bit and wake up to get it started.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I just put mine on. I'm super hurt. Set it low and hope it turns out.
  • newegg13
    Options
    That's bush league, dude. How long have you been at it?