Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flour score

chuff
chuff Posts: 255
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to brag a little about my good fortune. I've been looking everywhere for a local source of Caputo 00 with no luck. In a town as food intensive as mine that was really surprising me. I can get anything else you can imagine here, but not this flour apparently. Sure I can order it, but shipping is a little pricey and I'd rather buy it here if possible. Finally today in a last ditch effort I call a local upscale pizza joint. Here's how the conversation went:

me: "So, I have kind of a weird question for you."
girl on the phone sounding suspicious: "Uh, okay?" 
me: "Is there any chance I can buy a bag of flour from you?"
now audibly relieved girl: "Oh, sure. That's not weird at all. It's $45 + tax."

I really thought I would be the first to ask, or that it would at least be uncommon enough that she'd have to check with the manager. She acted like they sell ten bags a day and it was the most normal thing in the world for someone to come to a restaurant to buy flour. At just under $50 out the door it's a little less than half what it goes for at Amazon after shipping. Now I just have to figure out how the hell I'm going to store nearly 50 pounds of flour!
XL BGE

Comments

• 50 pounds, man, how long will that take to go through? my guess would be get a Rubbermaid tub and several large lock and lock type containers. Fill the lock and locks to capacity and place in rubbermaid tub then store. Keep one container out for use and then just go to stash when it's gone!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Never thought they'd do that.  I spent almost $40 on 22 pounds (10 x 1KG) from Amazon.  I know there are at least a dozen local pizzerias that use Caputo "00".  Thanks for the idea.
    50 pounds, man, how long will that take to go through? my guess would be get a Rubbermaid tub and several large lock and lock type containers. Fill the lock and locks to capacity and place in rubbermaid tub then store. Keep one container out for use and then just go to stash when it's gone!
    A long time. I have some foodie friends that are going to share in the bounty, but even then it's still a lot. 
    XL BGE
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I got four 1 kilogram bags (2.2lbs each) for less than $22 delivered from Amazon.  I mix my flour 1 to 1 with King Arthur bread flour.  It is a great combination and makes great dough.  I was in the pizza business for over 30 years and I know my flours.  For homemade bread or pizza in a home oven or in the Egg you cannot beat Caputo Tipo 00.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited August 2012
    Get food grade 5 gallon pails from your local grocery store/bakery for free and store it in those. They are airtight while Rubbermaid bins probably aren't. You can use gamma lids if you need to open the pail more than once or twice. Keep it cool and dry and you should be alright for 6-12 months.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • chuff
    Yeah, food grade buckets are definitely the solution. When I was talking about storage, though I wasn't talking about where I'm going to put the flour. I was talking about where I'm going to put the containers. My garage is 100°+ this time of year and my pantry is one of those ridiculous "pantry cabinets" that doesn't hold much. I would say there's a better than average chance of this flour ending up in the linen closet upstairs.  :))
    XL BGE
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    large food saver bags sealed at 5 or 10 pounds each or smaller 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    You should probably make sure you have a place to store 50lbs of flour before you buy 50lbs of flour. :D

Put a doily on the pails and call them end tables?
    Cedar Park, TX
  • chuff
    Well now you sound just like my wife! 
    XL BGE
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Just picked up 4 bags (5 lbs each) of caputo tipo 00 at Pennsylvania Macaroni in Pittsburgh for just under $5 a bag. . . Can't wait to try it out.

PS they ship . . .
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • chuff
    If you're wondering how many 5 gallon buckets it takes to hold 50 pounds of flour the answer is 2 - almost exactly. I'm sure the people at WinCo think I'm a crazy prepper now, but I went with the gamma lids. I figured this probably won't be the last bag I buy. I threw some stuff into the Bosch tonight and made my first batch of dough. Six 227 gram dough balls are fermenting in the fridge. The dough feels unbelievable. I went with 62% hydration, but I think for the next batch I'll drop it to 56% and see how that does.
    XL BGE