Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me buy my new BGE today-smBGE vs medBGE???

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I orig thought I would go w/mini vs small, but mini seems too mini for my needs. Now it's down to the day I bring home a new child...I can't make up my mind. I have LBGE and want to supplement w/another for sides and other cooks requiring diff temps etc. Can ya'll share input as to the pros/cons to this issue? I do not want another LBGE, although I know I could share the eggcessories. Is it easier to sear/blacken without a spider on smaller eggs due to the fire possibly being closer? Thanks to a great crowd of folks!!!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Do you plan on taking it anywhere with you (tailgating, vacatio, etc)?  If so, get a small. Otherwise, go bigger.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I think I'd go with the medium. I don't have experience with anything but my XL but the small just seems so tiny.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I have a LGBE and if/when I get another it will be a small. It can be used for small cooks and is still somewhat portable for tailgating.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Small/large is a great combo. The small can handle a lot more food than you think plus you can pick it up by yourself, fit it in any car, and take it anywhere you go.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • No plan to take anywhere/tailgate...just found out a dealer has special packages today. I can get a med/ash tool/gripper/nest and chooseeither BGE lump, Wicked Good WW or Nature's Own- for $599-same price as just med egg anywhere else I called...looks like the new baby will be  a med!!!! 

Small is $499 with nest only here, but $499 small without nest everywhere else I priced. Seems like a no brainer.....

YAY!!!!! I'm off to see the wizard!
    Rome, GA
  • Anyone wanna chime in on the Nature's Own lump? I have used 2 BGE lumps-last bag was fair, a lot of tiny pieces. I have a weekend warrior waiting in the wings. Do not know anything bout Nature's Own.
    Rome, GA
  • nature's own is very hogh quality lump if I remember right. Check our nakedwhiz.com and see what he has to say about it. I've used it but it's been years.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I would not mind finding a deal like that here in AZ.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Does anyone in the forum make their own lump?  I make my own using a home made charcoal kiln.  I haven't purchased a bag of lump in over three years.  I make it out of my own oak and hickory here on the farm.  The best charcoal you can't buy.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have medium and I def would go big as you can afford.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nobody has ever complained about having too much cooking space.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    With that package pricing and no plans to take it anywhere the Med looks like a no brainer. The Med is the one size I haven't cooked on but I hear it has great airflows & can get up to searing temps quickly. Congrats on your new baby!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I had to make this decision a few months back. After I saw them side by side (and realized I was not going to take mine anywhere) the decision was easy. I have a family of 3 and the medium is the perfect size for us. The firebox is deep enough to hold more lump than you will ever need on a long cook and the grate is big enough to hold just about anything except for a packer. Plus, it seems like there is more vertical head space (if I remember correctly it's like 10 inches but I haven't actually measured in a while...but it's plenty) if want to cook something tall like a beer can.  
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I tried to get me local dealer to give me the same deal.  For some reason he was not interested.  krobertsman, what part of the country are you in?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    For what it is worth, if you are not tailgating get the biggest the budget will provide.  I speak from experience.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Well...my new med baby is home safe! It rode buckled in the back seat with extra ties and blankets. It was really a no brainer once I saw them side by side. I got 10% off all eggcessories so I went with cast iron grill which I love on my lgbge. I got jalepeno rack.need recipes please...got the cast iron grill picker upper thingy instead of the regular one...just had to pay the diff in price. Also picked up the looft lighter....sounded good and will take back my mapp that has never been used. Hope the looft is good...they said it's great. Bought the grill cover...several dizzy rubs plus a couple others. Do I did GREAT!!!
    Rome, GA
  • Tmekpr1- I live in Rome Ga and drove to Roswell Ga to get this...it was over an hour drive but combined with other shopping needs...lol
    Great deal and I forgot to mention that it included assembly!
    I went with natures own lump since they strongly suggested it.

Rome, GA
  • I'm sure ill be up and down all night watching her on the deck....just like new baby...lol..big sis (lgbge) will help watch her too!!
    Rome, GA
  • here is my story ..

my first BGE was a XL but i quickly learned that was too big for my condo (it was too big for the balcony) so i sold it and bought a medium and it is perfect for cooking for my girlfriend and I but i like to entertain so today i was at eggs by the river and bought a demo larg BGE  now i will make a table that will hold the medium and large .. i also looked at the small but i thought the small was just too small for my needs ..i think your making the right choice getting the medium

NOW today while at the eggfest the girlfriend fell in love with the mini so we are going to get a mini next week too LOL