Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping cooked brisket ready

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Putting on a brisket today. Either in the next few hours or tonight. It is going to be for lunch tomorrow at a family get together. What is the best way to keep it ready to eat keep it moist with bark and all if it's ready tonight or early in the morning???
Fridge?
Tupperware?
Foil?

I'm so lost. I don't want to ruin it by having it done to early but best case for me is to put it on now and have it done early tonight.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Are you doing it Tavis method?
  • Well slight change of plans. Just got paged to come in for work but still need answers I'll start a fire when I get back.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2012

Are you doing it Tavis method?

Yes mam with slight mods

XLBGE 
  • I think I saw recently that you could put it back in the liquid cover with foil tightly, the fat will congeal in the fridge, remove and then reheat when you are ready for it. Didn't @ Hapster have to rescue his when his family didn't arrive till the next day?
  • Thanks. I was kinda wanting to avoid that congealing. Wanted more of a bark fresh smoked kinda texture taste. Congealing fat is more least favorite part of left over roast.

I'm still at work so this will be an over night which cuts done on the time I have to keep it. What if I wasn't quiet to 195 so I just took it to church with me and left it in oven on low until lunch??

XLBGE 
  • Thanks. I was kinda wanting to avoid that congealing. Wanted more of a bark fresh smoked kinda texture taste. Congealing fat is more least favorite part of left over roast. I'm still at work so this will be an over night which cuts done on the time I have to keep it. What if I wasn't quiet to 195 so I just took it to church with me and left it in oven on low until lunch??
    Just get it done, take it out of the liquid and FTC it. It will stay warm for many hours(5-6 easy). You can strain and reserve the liquid if you want to add some back in when you slice it. I would not cool it or hold in that liquid.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks. I was kinda wanting to avoid that congealing. Wanted more of a bark fresh smoked kinda texture taste. Congealing fat is more least favorite part of left over roast.

I'm still at work so this will be an over night which cuts done on the time I have to keep it. What if I wasn't quiet to 195 so I just took it to church with me and left it in oven on low until lunch??

Just get it done, take it out of the liquid and FTC it. It will stay warm for many hours(5-6 easy). You can strain and reserve the liquid if you want to add some back in when you slice it. I would not cool it or hold in that liquid.

This sounds like its work the best for what I want. Thanks!

XLBGE 
  • I'm an Alton Brown follower and He swears by packing a cooler with a towel on the bottom,bricks covered with foil and placed in a 500 degree oven then placed in the bottom with a warm moist towel on top of that.Brisket in foil with it's own juice and another towel on that.I know thats alot but I have used in at many BBQ competions when I have cooked the night before.That will stay warm for atleast 3-4hr, after you cut brisket let the pieces set back in there own juice.
  • Thanks guys. Brisket is on and the wife is at the controls. I just got called back into work!

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Dang-you are very fortunate to have a qualified co-pilot in the household.  I'm sure she is more than up to the task-enjoy once you get home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Came home to this and supper on the table :)

XLBGE