Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very Fast Starting the Lg EGG

Options
STANGOJE
STANGOJE Posts: 44
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have used a electric starter and a torch but I have to say my egg starts way quicker with a paper tower and about two TBS of veg oil. I have a major fire in 5-8 minutes.  Cooking in 10 minutes.

Comments

• STANGOJE
    Options
    I have used a electric starter and a torch but I have to say my egg starts way quicker with a paper tower and about two TBS of veg oil. I have a major fire in 5-8 minutes.  Cooking in 10 minutes.
    LOL:  That is a towel

• anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    yup, that's a great tip i learned earlier this week on the board. such a good way to get the fire going.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    let me get this right... you are using veg oil and a paper towel to get your fire started....please explain more......i am missing something which is about normal for me....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    the oil burns longer
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    let me get this right... you are using veg oil and a paper towel to get your fire started....please explain more......i am missing something which is about normal for me....

soak towel, light it on fire, cover with coals
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options

a little not a lot.

twist. notice no drips.  if it drips, you used too much

toss some pieces over them and wait.

faster than standing around with a torch.
    only thing faster may be the weedburner, but barely.  lots of sparks with the weedburner though

and you'll almost always have oil on hand, and paper napkin or paper towel
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Btw, even if it is at temp, I would let your fire burn longer, or you risk acrid smoke tasting food.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smell the smoke.  if it smells good, it'll taste good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2012
    Options
    You want fast lighting?  Google "Lighting BBQ grill with liquid oxygen".  Unfortunately, it appeared to BBQ the grill also.  Would not want to do that to an Egg.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Yeah...I don't have any liquid O2 in the pantry...but the used corn oil is free and a little bit on a paper towel does a great job of starting the lump.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    This is my method, on top with some lump around for low n slow, underneath for high heat.....cheaper than starters, no electricity or gas needed.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

"i see" said the grasshopper...learn something every day....this seems to be a great idea...thanks for the tutor!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Switched to this method about two weeks ago when sparks from a MAP light burned my husband's lip. Amazed at how fast it is.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • STANGOJE
    Options
    I am very pleased with this method, I can drop the oil soaked paper towel in the lump and walk away.  It is super fast!