Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato Cooker

timekpr1
timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use on of these?

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have not.  I just poke them with a fork, cover with olive oil, sprinkle on kosher salt and cook at 375 degrees until they reach 215 internal.  Does the pictured device do something special?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Supposedly it cooks faster by having a heating element inside the potato.  How long does it take for your potatoes to reach 215?  Direct or indirect cooking?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    It takes 45 minutes to an hour and I do them indirect.  I can cut the time down to about 40 minutes if I raise the temp at the grid to 400 degrees.  The only reason I do them at 375 is because I usually do one baking potato and one sweet potato and they tend to get done closer to the same time at 375 but I'm not sure why.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We do it similar to dlk7 but use a bit of bbq on the potatoes. 

Gerhard
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Years ago I used a couple of clean gutter nails (thick, long and aluminum) stabbed lengthwise through my spuds, but I haven't seen them in years, must've been lost during the last move.

Gotta make a Home Depot run!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Years ago I used a couple of clean gutter nails (thick, long and aluminum) stabbed lengthwise through my spuds, but I haven't seen them in years, must've been lost during the last move.

Gotta make a Home Depot run!  
    Did they make any difference in cooking?