Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking 4 butts on lrg egg 2 days before serving

Options
mtnbikeninja
mtnbikeninja Posts: 36
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here's my plan Smoke 4 butts starting this Wednesday night through Thursday for 18-20 hours or until int temp reaches 195. Wrap butts up in tin foil and throw them in the fridge until Saturday. Take them out on Saturday and let them sit at room temp for 1 hour. Then throw them in a 250 degrees oven for another hour. Let rest for 15-20 min, then pull the meat. Has anyone ever attempted this method before and how did it turn out?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cook them all fully, pull, then reheat the pulled meat.
    it takes a lot of energy to convert the collagen to gelatin.  but that gelatin stiffens when cool (think jello), and ittakes actually more heat to melt it again.

you also drive off a lot of moisture in the meat cooking it to 195/200 in the first place.  no need to risk driving even more off by reheating thru another long low and slo.

at that size, an hour on the counter wouldn't warm it one iota internally. 

just cook to 195, pull, store airtight (gallon ziplocs are good), and reheat (foil trays work well, with tight foil covers). you can add moisture to the trays if you want
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I did four 9 - 10 pound butts Memorial Day weekend.  Smoked them Friday night into Saturday.  I let them rest then pulled while hot.  Filled three large foil pans, Covered them tightly with HDAF and put them on ice until Monday.  To heat, I used an 18 Qt Nesco Roaster, added a little apple juice and heated at 300 degrees, mixing occassionally.  Once heated through, turned down the heat to just keep warmThey turned out fantastic, and I had a full foil pan left for folks to take some home.  
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @ OP-all you need to know ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (not that I would get cross-ways with stike and his vast fan club :)>-  )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    Options
    oh lou, you crazy kid you.

:\">

• Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    I agree with Stike. Cook, pull and reheat. You can also freeze for later and reheat the same way.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I did the same as Stike said for a party mid week, but cooked on Saturday before. On alternative to reheating is to put the cold bags of pulled meat in boiling or warm water for a few minutes. The conductivity of the water will reduce the time required to bring it back to serving temperature.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I am no pro here, but I did a cook the day before and heated the pulled pork in a crock pot, on low, with a little bit of chicken stock for moisture. Came out great.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Options
    I did the same thing. Cooked my pork the day before i served it. I pulled it after it was done. It was fantastic. The next day i put it in the crock pot on warm with a some apple juice and when i served it, it was dry. It was the worst Boston butt i have ever served. Don't know what i did wrong.
  • stike
    Options
    we need to remember that even the best PP is DRY.  all the water (our 'moisture') is essentially driven off.  it's succulent primarily due to fat and gelatin.  if it's allowed to cool, those two congeal, and you need to reheat it. this will drive off the last remaining moisture in the meat.  the fat and gelatin take a long time to melt again.

PP should be eaten right away. even the best reheat job the next day is going to be drier than serving it at peak