Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Egging on a sailboat?

BedfordJim13BedfordJim13 Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody ever managed to use a BGE, even a mini, on a sailboat successfully, and how was it attached. Just bought a 33ft sailboat. Don't really want to cook with propane

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,858
    Used to be in the marine business and I've seen a lot of charcoal grills on fiberglass boats and, I've also seen a few boat fires resulting from charcoal grills. Fiberglass burns HOT and FAST. I saw a bot in an anchorage one night burn to the waterline in less than 20 minutes from a charcoal grill.

I would say the best thing you could do is check with your insurance company and see what they say. Good luck.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,405
    The first egg I ever saw was permanently fiberglasswd into the cockpit of a 46 ft motor vessel. The tuna went from swimming to grilling in about 2 min.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,113
    Never have experienced a BGE on a sailboat-but should you pursue then mount it on gimbals so it has a chance of staying relatively horizontal.  Boat fires do put themselves out once they hit the waterline :)>-
    Louisville