Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This New Forum

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gotta say that I still don't like it much. The leapfrog effect is really distracting especially when things get busy. I can find no way to disable it so that threads remain in their original chronological order and this makes it very dificult to scroll through and locate specific threads of interest. Add to this that no matter which view you choose, all are spread over multiple pages, so rather than being able to scroll all active threads on one screen, you may have to wait for up to 9 different pages to load and scroll each of those with no chronological landmarks to help you identify the right page. Now I realize that I can use the search function to locate specific threads, but how convenient is that compared to the simple act of scrolling? I hope these things can be rectified before this forum switches over to full time active phase.

Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Can't you just click on "Classic View" and all your problems are solved?
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Nope, posts still leapfrog, still multiple pages, fewer, but still there.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Citizen Q,

The "leap frog" effect you described is caused by a "feature" that we intend to make optional.

Currently, even in classic view, threads are displayed in order of their last (most recent) post. This has the effect of keeping active posts at the top of the index; so, they continuously "leap frog" each other. Though, on the upside, this means most threads with any recent activity are on page "1" of the main index.

The current forum, by contrast, displays threads in order of their first (head of thread) posting. As we all know, this means that they never change order -- i.e. no "leap frogging", but on the downside, it also means that posts, even very active ones, scroll off rather quickly.

We can see some benefit to both schemes, so, we'll make it an option whose default will be the old way in "classic" mode.

As to the number of pages, there is a direct trade-off between the number of pages; and, the time it takes to fetch the page. I.e. the fewer the pages, the bigger they are, and the longer they take to fetch.

So, as in the many other cases we two diametrically opposed perspectives clash, we'll add an option to select between them. That way, those that want short, quick to fetch pages, and, those that want long, scrollable, slower to fetch pages, can get what they want.

WMK
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Looks like you've got it all under control here. Now when will my smite button be activated and is it possible to have negative Karma?

Cheers,
    C~Q
  • WMK
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Just takes time to add all the necessary options; and, sometimes new things break old things -- but we're getting closer.
    Your "smite" button should be active now, is it not working? I've not actually tried to smite anyone yet.
    And, yes, karma can be negative; though, I don't know of any consequences yet, but that could change.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    I just noticed the buttons a while ago but I can't see mine, apparently it's set up so you can't smite yourself.

Cheers and take some time to enjoy the weekend,
    C~Q
  • WMK
    Options
    Ah, right! Thou shalt neither smite nor applaud thyself.
    Thanks I'll try -- and you do the same!