Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking "home brew".........

Options
Mugato17
Mugato17 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Question;
I'm going to try and move my home brewing operation away from my oven and into the BGE. I have a pit viper, so regulating the temp won't be to bad....
Does anyone have any pointers? Have you ever done this before?
How'd it turn out? Compared to the traditional oven?
Thx!
John

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The only smoking I have done for brewing is smoking a few pounds of malt with some Alder wood for a Smoked Porter I brewed last fall.....came out very good.

I'm assuming that you mean to take your boiling from your stovetop inside the house, and try it on the egg?

I would think that it would be very difficult to control your boil. I'm always adjusting the flame on my burner to keep from getting a boil-over....you won't have any kind of instant control of your fire.

Not saying it can't be done.....and it might be worth a try, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it. A boil-over on the egg could be quite messy.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...and you can't very well control the temp with the lid open...
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I would think that it would be extremely difficult to manage.  How would you even support the kettle?  9-10 gallons of liquid (assuming full boil all grain brewing with 6 gallons into the fermentor) plus a pot is not very light.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Not at AAALLLLLLLL what I thought this thread was about via the title.....

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options

Dude.....that would be "home grown"   ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Aaaahhh...you beat me to the punch line!
    Options
    AleBrewer,
    Thx for the info...I've questioned all that...but I'm going to have to give it a try...
    Liquidicem- I'm going to brew less to manage the overage...a lot less....just to see if it'll work.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

I'm at work right now...

I think I really just wanna go home...

*paces office twiddling thumbs waiting for 4:00*
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like it might be fun, but not sure what the benefit might be. The egg is the master at adding a slight wood fire smoke hint to what you are cooking, I've never heard of anyone looking for a hint of smoke in a brew, a scotch or Irish whiskey with hint of peat smoke yes, but beer, nope. 

I picked up one of those turkey deep friers for $20 after some idiot set fire to his garage door and his wife made him sell it. It is great for boiling a wort. Also doubles as a great corn boiler.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sounds like it might be fun, but not sure what the benefit might be. The egg is the master at adding a slight wood fire smoke hint to what you are cooking, I've never heard of anyone looking for a hint of smoke in a brew, a scotch or Irish whiskey with hint of peat smoke yes, but beer, nope. 

I picked up one of those turkey deep friers for $20 after some idiot set fire to his garage door and his wife made him sell it. It is great for boiling a wort. Also doubles as a great corn boiler.

And great for wok, grasshopper.  I have one too that I think I paid around $17 for.  Oh, and blackening stuff where you create toxic Bhopal clouds that are best not done on the stove in the house.