Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAP Torch--help please

2»

Comments

• I use this: 

http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch.aspx

and have been completely satisfied w/ it.  I do put on welding gloves when using it, just to help protect against the stray spark which may land on my arm & singe my arm hair. 

Also, I reach inside the Egg just enough to allow the flame to lick the lump, but I also sort of "stand back" to keep my face away as well. 

As someone above said, if you use common sense & keep your face away from the direct line of "fire" (no pun intended), like when frying bacon, or using jumper cables (or, at least I HOPE folks don't lean their face over the battery when putting on jumper cables), then you should be fine. 

I usually light in 3 places (as looking at the face of a clock, approximately 8, 4, and 12), and keep the torch on those 3 places for about 20 seconds each.  So, in about 1 minute (20 sec * 3 = 60 sec), I can have my lump lit & then I'll let it sit there for a few minutes, then come back, stir the lump (I like to have the lump distributed, so as to help minimize any "hot spots") then start closing the dome & adjusting vents...

Easy peasy!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I use this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_246067-13877-94482_0__?productId=3512339&Ntt=torch&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

I'm pretty new to the egg, but not to charcoal.  Sometimes the lump is a little sparky, but nowhere near what the picture on the previous page looks like.  At worst it's like a popping campfire and to me, that's all part of the adventure.  I wear an apron when I cook anyway.  I have another torch I use on weeds that has a lever on it to kick up the torch output to OMG level.  The picture on the previous page looks like that torch on the OMG setting.

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The only thing that'll put out an OMG fire is holy water - formula: H2OMG
    I use the paper towel and oil once I ran out of my official green egg starter blocks. What is everyone's opinion on the green egg tool that looks like an oval and you plug in a sit down I coals? Name escapes me
    Boom
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I use the paper towel and oil once I ran out of my official green egg starter blocks. What is everyone's opinion on the green egg tool that looks like an oval and you plug in a sit down I coals? Name escapes me
    This thing?  image

Sold at my local shop - I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than the LOOFT, so I didn't bother.

Anyone else?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Electric starter I have one I bought at Lowes for $10.00 works great just stick it in the charcoal with the lid up and in about 10 min you have a good fire. Very easy to use I have an electric plug on my deck so I just keep a 6 ft extension cord box on my deck
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I think it's much cheaper than the looflighter
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    I'm using a Bernzomatic as well, but it has a hose. This one: 

I hang the bottle it on my tool hook, and I can either hold the torch handle, or wedge it in the bottom of the draft door, and stand back for a minute until lit.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MAPP gas is no longer produced.  Instead, other companies started producing substitutes.  Bernzomatic calls theirs MAP/Pro which is probably what you have.  Any torch like this is going to produced impressive sparks when you use it to light lump, although some lumps can be more impressive than others.
    Any particular lump in mind? :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

I hang the bottle it on my tool hook, and I can either hold the torch handle, or wedge it in the bottom of the draft door, and stand back for a minute until lit.

This is the one that I have. I'm still working out the kinks so I may have to try the draft door method.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Miah, dude, get a friking heat gun.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

The MAPP torch is way too cool.  And if I buy the cheaper heat gun after buying the MAPP (which the wife was oh so happy about), I'll have to hear "I told you so."  We all know how fun that is.

Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    newegg13 said:

tazcrash said:

This is the one that I have. I'm still working out the kinks so I may have to try the draft door method.
    Oops. Disclaimer: i have a Hi-que style grate. Not sure if it will work with the stock CI plate

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    get a weedburner and quit pussing around
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I was using vegetable or canola oil with paper towels.

I found that the egg would light pretty well if I rolled up two towels into loose cigars, added some oil, then put them down on top of the lump in an X.  I lit all four ends then and let the egg run for awhile.

I was getting a little frustrated lighting Wicked Good this way... it just seemed to take FOREVER to come up to temp.  So I started thinking of other methods.

Bought a LOOFT Lighter from my local shop... and WOW is all I've got to say, I spent $89 Canadian on it, and I think it really is worth every penny.  I got my Large Egg, Plate Setter, and Pizza Stone up to 700 degrees in about 15-20 minutes last night...
    WG has always been difficult (by some standards) to light but, the end result is longer cooks, less ash production and hotter burns.

If you want any of the above you'll have to learn to be patient grasshopper.