Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hand Washing

Options
13»

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I can remember my grandmother making chicken noodle soup, and the pot would stay on the back porch (enclosed, unheated, no air conditioning) for up to a week, no matter the season.  Just bring it in, heat it up on the coal stove and eat and enjoy.  Home made kielbasi would hang for 3 days prior to smoking (salt peter was used to cure it)  and we never got sick.  
    How many of you clean/change tongs after flipping chicken the first time when cooking?  One side is no where near up to "safe" temp prior to flipping.  
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I mostly wash my hands because they're filthy from working in my shop.  Washing the food or utensils doesn't help much with foods that are eaten raw, and depending on the pathogen or toxin, even foods that are cooked.  A lot of salmonella bacteria needs to be eaten to get poisoned - the bacteria is mostly killed by stomach acid.  Thought this was interesting, even though it's a few years old.

from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/top-10-food-poisoning-risks/

Beef and poultry are the most frequent sources of food-borne illness, but a number of other foods also pose a risk. Now, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group that tracks food safety issues, has compiled a list of 10 common foods responsible for a large number of outbreaks of food-borne illnesses. The top 10 foods account for 1,500 separate outbreaks accounting for about 50,000 cases of food poisoning, some of which ended in long-term disability and death. The list comes from the group’s database of outbreaks, compiled from state and federal government reports, scientific articles and news reports. The list only focuses on foods overseen by the Food and Drug Administration, so it doesn’t include meats, which are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“A globalized food system, archaic food safety laws, and the rise of large-scale production and processing have combined to create a perfect storm of unsafe food,’’ the C.S.P.I. writes. “Unfortunately, the hazards now come from all areas of the food supply: not only high-risk products, like meat and dairy, but also the must-eat components of a healthy diet, like fruits and vegetables.’’

Here are the top three riskiest foods on the C.S.P.I. list:

1. Leafy greens (363 outbreaks; 13,568 cases): Responsible for 24 percent of the non-meat outbreaks listed, salads and other greens become contaminated by contact with animals, contaminated water, poor handling practices and even contaminated washing equipment.

2. Eggs (352 outbreaks; 11,164 cases): Most egg outbreaks are because of salmonella poisoning. Although external contamination of the egg can occur from poor handling practices, more often the contamination happens inside the hen, before the shell is even formed. Half of all cases of egg-related illness are in restaurants. Catered events and prisons also reported large outbreaks.

3. Tuna (268 outbreaks; 2,341 cases): Fresh fish can decay soon after being caught, the C.S.P.I. reports, leading to scombroid poisoning caused by a poison called scombrotoxin. Symptoms include skin flushing, headaches, cramps, diarrhea and loss of vision.

The remaining foods on the C.S.P.I. list are:

4. Oysters: 132 outbreaks; 3,409 cases.
    5. Potatoes: 108 outbreaks; 3,659 cases.
    6. Cheese: 83 outbreaks; 2,761 cases.
    7. Ice cream: 74 outbreaks; 2,594 cases.
    8. Tomatoes: 31 outbreaks; 3,292 cases.
    9. Sprouts: 31 outbreaks; 2,022 cases.
    10. Berries: 25 outbreaks; 3,397 cases.

edited August 2012
    Options
    How many of you clean/change tongs after flipping chicken the first time when cooking?  One side is no where near up to "safe" temp prior to flipping.  
    Having a person in the house with an autoimmune disease (MS), I can't take any chances. Either the tongs get swapped out, or they get washed. Heck, we're still dealing with a post-op infection from May. The thought of my cooking sanitation habits being the cause of one of these episodes ... I don't want to go there.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    is it me, or am i imagining it? i say something, and a brief period later nolaegghead provides all the footnotes to support me.

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ice cream, whodathunkit. if its eggs in it i could see it, if its handling than pretty much any food would be a culprit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    that's my belabored point...  was trying to say that the focus on many foods is disproportionate to the real risk, and all the gloves and protocol provide only a false sense of security if you aren't paying attention to where the REAL risks are.

• fishlessman
    Options
    lettuce is a different story, has put me on the hopper so many times i stopped eating it all together, even my doctor told me to stop eating it.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    sounds rough.  (get it? roughage. potty...?  hahaha I kill me)
  • nolaegghead
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I replaced the bathroom wall heater with a nice, heart pine magazine rack.  Don't forget to treat the symptoms also... 
    :)
    Options

is it me, or am i imagining it? i say something, and a brief period later nolaegghead provides all the footnotes to support me.

It's hard not to likey the stikey!

hahahahaha

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    Options
    sounds rough.  (get it? roughage. potty...?  hahaha I kill me)
    all i know is that for me, eating healthy includes a bucket and a hopper
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    if you come over i'm serving you a large salad of greens and beets and asparagus. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    thats fine, but im not cleaning up your bathroom
    :))nothing wrong with beets and asparugus
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    beets and asparagus just in there for the shock factor
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Oh my potty humor, I feel like I'm talking to my boys! :D
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh my potty humor, I feel like I'm talking to my boys! :D
    booger jokes are sure to follow..........we are idiots

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    No flinging! =))
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    beets and asparagus just in there for the shock factor
    My co-workers and family will be hearing about this one. I'm still chuckling.
    =))
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Boiled and pickled some beets last night.  Looked like a crime scene afterwards.