Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Pull pork sauce

edited June 2012 in Pork
What do you like on pulled pork, vinager base or thick bbq sauce?

I personally like a thin and slighlty spicy vinager sauce so the taste of the meat comes threw.

• ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    I like the eastern NC style sauce. Cider vinegar a little sweet and a little spice.
  • bdub60bdub60 Posts: 30

When it comes to BBQ sauce I'm not particular.  I've found really thin vinegar sauces I like and thicker sauces I like also.  For pulled pork I prefer something more on the vinegar side with some kick to it.

I made the ketchup based BBQ sauce on Elder Ward's recipe and loved it.  As it sat it thickened up but while I was cooking it it was on the thinner side and had a nice vinegar taste.  One of my favorite BBQ sauces.  Using fresh onion and garlic instead of powder/salt makes a big difference IMO.

Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,751
    My sons birthday I did 15 lbs of Butt, I then made vinegar based sauce off the net for the very first time. Vinegar is the way to go for the sandwhich with a pile of slaw, it was a hit with all.
    Seattle, WA
     I have to say the right combination of spices and a good smoke ring and you really don't need the sauce. The sauce just covers up what you just spent countless hours cooking to achieve. 
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,531
    I like Stubb's hot.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• Found this sauce online years ago, have no idea who to give credit to:

South Central Carolina Gold VII
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbs black pepper
    1 Tbs Worcester
    3 Tbs Tabasco
    1/2 Tbs salt

I usually on make a 1/2 batch as it fits nicely into the bottle I keep it in.  We'll use it on just about anything.  Pork, chicken, rice, lettuce, .....

Pile on the slaw, too.

• I need to try a vinegar based, have never tried it!
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Love vinegar based sauces on pork.
    This one ruled at a party. Was from this site but i think its from Emeril.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Mix until sugar is dissolved
    Fits in a quart container
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    here's my take on a vinegar sauce
    1cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup coca cola
    1 cup bbq sauce
    1/2 cup turbinado sugar
    salt and pepper to taste
    crushed red pepper
    franks red hot
    zest of a lemon and it's juice
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,195

This is my favorite:

1 Large onion diced fine

3 tablespoons minced garlic

1 16 oz can diced tomatoes

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

3 tablespoons cayenne pepper ?

1 cup apple cider vinegar

3 cups BBQ sauce

Heat BGE to 250. Combine onion garlic pepper with some oil and simmer ½ hour.

Add cider vinegar and BBQ sauce.  Simmer additional ½ hour. Pour over pulled pork.

• GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    I like dry rubs more these days. BBQ sauces on the side for now on.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,866
    Stubbs sweet heat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,389
    carolina red sauce and a non-mayo spicy coleslaw 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • here is the one i use: it's vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce really good

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,389
    here is the one i use: it's vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce really good
    add ketchup and you have carolina red 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.