Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Beet, Caramelized Onion, Maytag Blue Cheese Pizza

Options
Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Something a little different for pizza night tonight. I roasted some golden and red beets until cooked through and cooled to be able to slip the skin off, caramelized a couple onions and piled them on homemade dough that had been cold fermenting for a few days...Topped it off with fresh mozz and some nice Maytag blue cheese and fresh chopped rosemary. What a delicious combo!! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Also in the mix was a much more pedestrian pie....ham and fresh mozz- Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Sorry....forgot setup and all that stuff- Adjustable rig with stone on top for an indirect piece then three green feet with a stone on top for cooking nice and high in the dome. I cooked them at 700* for about 5 ish minutes each.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Mighty_Quinn - The one you made with beets looks especially good!  I'll probably try that with a balsamic reduction instead of the tomato sauce.

Options
    Balsamic reduction sounds really good with this...I actually used a slash of balsamic while caramelizing the onions, and I went light on the tomato sauce so I would taste the beets. Good stuff...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whoa MQ- Looks good dude. Nice combo of out of the box ingredients (for us knuckleheads anyway)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I wonder how beets taste on pizza. Gotta try it, have some in the fridge.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks C-T...that combo of ingredients go really well together, and are commonly paired together. I'm always looking for new pizza ideas, so this was sort of a natural choice. Aviator---do it...it's really good!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of beets, but my wife is, and we grow them in the garden We had some with our grilled chicken tonight.

The onions and blue cheese is a great combo on pizza.....and I would even try the beets too.

Both pies look really good!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks AleBrewer...this whole idea came about because we have had so many beets from the garden this year and need to start getting creative with ways to use them so we don't get sick of them. Good thing the kids like beets!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks great!

Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Another good idea would be to saute the beet greens and use them as a topping...goat cheese would be good instead of blue...maybe some toasted walnuts,pecans, or pine nuts for a little crunch. There will definitely be a next time with this one. Thanks newegg13 :-c