Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Lane's hot dog chili

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of trying this chili this weekend and wanted to know for those of you who have tried it, is it like the hot dog chili they have at the Varsity in Atlanta? Also, how does not browning the meat affect the texture? Are you able to really crumble up the meat w/o browning? I have seen multiple "Varsity" chili recipes on the web and they are all dramatically different. Does anyone have one that is tried and true?[p]TIA!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    [img][/img]varitylunch.jpg
    <p />bigmikej,
    i don't know about that recipe... but if you had 'lick-o-vision' you could just take a bite out of this picture. .heeee (i LOVE the varsity)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    varitylunch.jpg
    <p />bigmikej,
    ok, let me try this again. . .here. . eat this!!! heee

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I'm guessing about 145 WW points just on that one little tray. That's only about 5 days worth of food...LOL.[p]It is good though. What length of fuse to do get with yours? The 10 minute or 45 minute one?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    2005232506.jpg
    <p />bigmikej,
    i made this one last night and was happy with it. not as hot as varsity chili but you could kick it up. use chuck for the burger, to get it to simmer i added a lager beer and some beef broth to the recipe.the allspice and the nutmeg add a different flavor, but i liked it. simmer at least 2 or more hours[p]
    This hearty, flavorful wiener sauce is like the kind you'll find in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. It may be frozen until ready for use. Use premium grilled wieners cooked in butter, steamed hot dog buns and the fancy mustard of your choice. Spread with mustard, the sauce, chopped onions and celery salt... in that order. If you have a delicate digestive system, use with caution.
    Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 1 Hour . Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 20 Minutes. Makes 12 servings.

[p]3 pounds ground beef
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon onion salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/4 teaspoon minced fresh
    ginger root
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    10 ounces ketchup [p]Directions
    1 Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over
    medium high heat until evenly brown; drain.
    2 Mix the chili powder, dry mustard, allspice, nutmeg,
    onion salt, garlic salt, celery salt, ginger root, cumin,
    Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and ketchup into the skillet. Simmer
    at least 1 hour, until a desirable consistency has been
    attained. Serve hot.[p]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    hey, that was lunch for me and the spawn. LOL . .. so only 72 1/2 ww points. .. .trust me, before i come down in october i will fast and eat nothing by lo/no carb stuff for a week so that i can properly 'partake' both at the varsity and at the fest. .. and then i won't eat anything for a week after that. .. just be close by with the 'paddles' for me. ...btw. . .i'm usually good for 45 minutes to an hour. . .when i was down there for a week at GA tech a few weeks back, the varsity finally caught up with me the last day. ..i had two chili/cheese dogs and a fried pie (or two), then hit the road for home. ..stopped at almost every exit in south carolina until i had it out of my system. ..ended up being about an 11 hour ride home. ...rough day, but worth it, and i'll do it again!!!

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,
    What do you mean by premium grilled hotdogs cooked in butter? What brand do you use? Where does the 'grilled' come in versus the 'cooked in butter'?[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Gwen,
    You must always remeber the 3 B's of a GREAT hot dog.
    Beer, Bacon, Butter. Cook the bacon and remove it, add the butter, add the dogs and saute. Add beer soak then toss on the ole Grill - YUMMY

• fishlessman
    Options
    2005231234.jpg
    <p />Gwen,
    i lifted that recipe off the web last week trying to duplicate a sauce that a rhode island woman made for a graduation party a few weeks ago. this recipe was very close, i think she food processed it to smooth it out.
    in rhode island they use these little weiners, i wouldnt call them a hot dog. for dogs i like essems, boars head, and hebrew national in that order. i cooked them on this settup on a soapstone pizza griddle with lots of butter

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I have been making Chuck's recipe ever since he posted it as a thread in Nov 2002. I LOVE IT! Now, having never had the priviledge of eating at a Varsity I can not attest to the closeness, but I do know that recipe produces a wonderful hot dog sauce. My only problem is even though I make it in triple batches at a time I sample it so much near the end that the yield goes down! I love the stuff by the spoonfulls and I have also used it in making ABTs. As for the consistency it at least looks like that posted by Mad Max. And yes the raw meat goes in the cold water, which BTW I use bottled water.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]So you put the butter on the griddle and put the hot dogs on it and sort of bbq-fry them in the butter? Lid down? How hot is the fire? [p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• Unknown
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    The way I read this I would cook bbq inside the house, add butter to the bacon fat (after taking the bacon out), then pour in some beer, put the hot dogs in (for how long?) and then take them and bbq them. Is that what you mean? What do you do with the bacon?[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• fishlessman
    Options
    Gwen,
    the fire was at 375 with lid down, slow enough so that there was no rushing

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]This recipe is very good.[p]Rudy's at The Loop Texas Hot Sauce in Oswego, NY[p] [p]· 1 lb. ground beef[p]· 1 large onion[p]· 8 oz tomato sauce[p]· 2 cups water[p]· 1 tsp thyme[p]· 1 tsp celery seed[p]· 1/2 tsp allspice[p]· 1/2 tsp cloves[p]· 1/2 tsp salt[p]· 3 Tbsp chili powder[p]· 1 tsp crushed red pepper[p]· 1/2 tsp ginger[p]· 1/2 tsp cinnamon[p]· 1/2 tsp dry mustard[p] [p]Simmer onion and meat until meat is in fine pieces. Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 2 hours. [p] [p]Hamburger Hot:[p]burger[p]mustard[p]chopped onion[p]Texas Hot sauce[p] [p]From the Internet[p] [p]I have made this twice now and neither my husband nor I can tell the difference between this recipe and what you get at Rudy's. Phenomenal! The only thing I do differently is to run the sautéed meat and onion though a food processor to get a fine grind that's like the "real thing". [p] [p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mike:[p]I think Chuck's recipe is more like the chili used by the Varsity when Mr. Gordy was still alive. At some point in time in recent years there was a subtle change in the chili. It is still good, but folks that have been around for a while know the difference. Kind of like the Coca-Cola of today vs. Coca-Cola made of yesteryear made with sugar.[p]I like to make this recipe in a cast iron Dutch oven. You want to place the meat in a cold pot sized to accommodate the meat and all of the water called for in the recipe. Add the water and mix the meat and water until it is like a slurry, then turn on the fire. The texture of the finished product is fine like The Varsity chili.[p]I used to grill dogs, but now I steam them in a can of Bud for something that more closely replicates Varsity dogs. The Boys love them and they are frequently requested in our house. I 5X the recipe and store it in the freezer for future use.[p]Let me know what you think of the recipe once you have had an opportunity to try it. Remember, you can play with the amount of pepper used in the recipe.
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Gwen,
    You are 100% right! Let the doggers (I love the Hebrew National Dinner Franks - they are a great size and really take the flavor!) sit in the beer in the pan about 10 mine with the flame low (not boiling). Then toss them on the egg until the are bowing even more and take tehm off, use the crubled bacon on the buns *droooool*

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Where can I find Chuck Lane's recipe???/

• Unknown
    Options
    Bigfoot,[p]We always get those too. Call them HebNats. The only dog to eat.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Sandi:[p]Here you go . . .

[ul][li]Hot Dog Chili[/ul]