Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first smoked meatloaf

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well went through the freezer, and i found a pound of ground sausage, and a pound of 80% lean beef.
Combined the 2, added some chopped red onion, Byrons butt rub, and panko bread crumbs (reminder: buy eggs).
Put down half in a layer. Added a few slices of cheddar, added the rest on top.
Cooked in the egg on the AR extender with a single cherry chunk @~360 until the maverick said 160.
At about 130 internal I glazed with a combo of ketchup, brown sugar and mustard (found it here, nice glaze for the meat).
Also under the meatloaf I added a tray with potato, and shallots. Added OO, onion powder, and more Byrons.
Good eats, but next time i will probably be adding milk to help moisten the meat loaf.
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2012
    I thought this was a newbe as I missed your sig at the top and was going to congradulate you doing the loaf w/o pan. Then I saw who posted. Sure looks good man. Would think with the 80/20 and sausage should not have much problem with dry? Before milk I would try adding more and larger cuts of red onion (still diced, just diced bigger). The loaf is going to be so much better the next couple of days and the potatos look real good as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Taz,

I use dehydrated onions as the binder in meatloaf. Works great. All dry spices as well will help hold it together too.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @Mickey: I'm still a newbie in my mind. Only been 4 months. Tonight is sandwich night. :D
    I was nervous about no pan, but after reading it here, i went for it.
    As far as taste, on't get me wrong, it was good. It can just be better!
    I honestly think I over cooked it even though my maverick and thermapen matched so many times in the beginning.
    @lilSteve: no problem holding together, probably all the sausage, and the fact that i let it sit in fridge overnight. ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!